horns vs comps for 150db+ system

So everyone here so far has been against horns whereas everyone over at diyma is for horns... hmmmm.............

Those ID horn + 10" midbass are really a ****** setup, AFAIK they're very efficient but not particularly designed to get crazy loud.... that being said, you can use different mids and different compression drivers on those horns (DIYMA would know which compression driver is the popular substitution for the OEM in that set) and throw more power at them if they're not enough for you stock...... All that being said, you need the right car to be able to stuff those horns up under your dash. Many vehicles simply don't have space for those things.

In general, care in selecting and prepping location will trump quantity when it comes to mids and highs anyway.

Those ID horn + 10" midbass are really a ****** setup, AFAIK they're very efficient but not particularly designed to get crazy loud.... that being said, you can use different mids and different compression drivers on those horns (DIYMA would know which compression driver is the popular substitution for the OEM in that set) and throw more power at them if they're not enough for you stock...... All that being said, you need the right car to be able to stuff those horns up under your dash. Many vehicles simply don't have space for those things.
In general, care in selecting and prepping location will trump quantity when it comes to mids and highs anyway.
What word did you use that got censored lol

This FFS.
Also, I have no idea why the dudes in the beginning of the thread were ragging on Eminence. They make some very nice drivers.
nobody was ragging on the eminence, i was ragging on that asss hole. everybody know what im talking about. just wanted the op to know thanks all. if i know what was good i would have said. i try not to recommend stuff i dont know about.

op let us know what you get, and how you like it.

well **** lmfao. I knew your name looked familiar :p.
I really want to just go with the horns because it's easier than doing 4 sets of components... I don't have to cut anything... I'll have to cut for my 10 inch beymas but that's not as time consuming as cutting for 8 fricken speakers hahaha
A good set of horns will easily keep up with any amount of mids you can fit into your car. The more mids you go with and the bigger and better quality the better the compression driver you'd need to keep up, but in general, any true compression driver can keep up, even doing several mids per side.

These would be a good choice if your staying tight on the budget, for 100 you'd be hard pressed to better, IIRC ID used these on their horns back in the day, rebadged as thier mid to upper end line actaully, since they have a different sound signature than the B&C's they used on the lower lines as well as the tippy top line above them..

Selenium D220Ti-OMF-8 1" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm 2/3 Bolt

100 gets you the compression drivers, 100 can get you a set of bstock horns from eric, or 200 can get you brand new perfect horns from eric, either way 2-300 dollars and you'll have more than enough output on the top end of the musical spectrum. Those are good for 127db continously 1 meter away. In a car you might get a bit more out of them, probably well over 130 decibels. 150db of bass does not need that much treble to sound balanced, most car audio components are good for around 110 decibels continuous. So 20 extra DB is the same thing as about 100x the power. Using a standard set of car audio components that can handle 1000 watts or so, you'd need 6000 watts for them to be as loud.. Or another way, if you doubled sets and had perfect acoustic coupling, youd gain 6db each time you doubled components and kept power even. So a set of speakers taking 100 watts and producign 110db you'd end up needing ten sets of components each on 100 watts a piece. That's assuming everything some how magically only adds sound and nothing has any cancellatin.. In real ife, you'd need even more, like 15-20 sets.. Basically, the horns will get louder than you need..

I remember when I first got my horns my buddies wanted to hear how loud they'd go. We went in the country. I had no crossover so I could only play a test tones, that way I could control the frqeuency.. Hooked one up to an arc xxk2500, good for 125 watts at 8ohms. One friend held the horn away from himself, I turned up the gains from the trunk, another friend walked in front of the horn. The waveguide forced most the sound into one spot.. When he walked into the "sweet spot" you could tell.. He got this almost sick dizzy look on his face and literally almost hit his knees. On music turned down to match the mids they don't do that lol, but the point is, they can def get silly loud and with less distortion and other nasty effects of trying to run many pairs of tweeters.

Not tring to thread jack but is there any horns good for beloe 500hz range or only higher?

They make them, but they get expensive as you'd need a 2inc compression or larger driver. Also a horn that provides loading that low is very big, hard to fit anywhere in a car. Below 500hz you'd best off with direct radiators in many cases, unless your budget scales up a bunch. If so JBL, BMS all make compression drivers that can play lower, at the cost of several hundred, in some cases as high as 1k per speaker. Not worth it since it's hard to fit in the first place.

that being said B&C DE500 compression drivers on a set of ID full sized horns can be crossed around 600hz at lowest, but you'd have to watch your volume. 800hz and up they can do pretty well and can still get very loud that way.

my pair of selenium 8w4p woofers paired with selenium st200 super tweeters are a verry serious front stage. loud loud loud

the selenium 8s dont handle tons of power in the midbass frequency so a 6db crossover slope from 125hz down is about right - but you also said you wanted a pair of 10s for midbass = exelent idea.

i have always been extremely impressed with the sounds that come from the selenium 8w4p woofer... verry musical - and loud at the same time

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.