horns vs comps for 150db+ system

Based

CarAudio.com Elite
Louisiana
I'm looking for a front stage for my 150db+ substage... I made a thread on DIYMA and they directed me to horns. I've never heard of horns before but now looking at them and reading about the use of HLCDs, I'm interested.

Should I buy a pair of Image Dynamics CD1 Pros, and then put 10 inch midbasses in my doors? Or should I go with 4 sets of comps per side and a midbass per door?

You might as well just get some good old fashioned Eminence stuff, Lol. Those ID's will be hella loud as well.
71697d1364525624-just-couple-quick-questions-about-1-6-build-go-away-jpg

OOoOoh! Your video give me a happy feelingsasen. The price on those aren't to bad either and they do appear to be quite loud, I will more likely end up giving these a try pretty soon here.
I wanted to put crescendo pa gear in my truck, not anymore thanks to you.

Also OP look into prv mids and tweets. DJ stage gear carries them.

Pro Audio subwoofers, compression drivers and Loudspeakers from names like Selenium Loudspeakers and PRV Audio

Super Tweeters - DJ Stage Gear Store

I'm looking for a front stage for my 150db+ substage... I made a thread on DIYMA and they directed me to horns. I've never heard of horns before but now looking at them and reading about the use of HLCDs, I'm interested.
Should I buy a pair of Image Dynamics CD1 Pros, and then put 10 inch midbasses in my doors? Or should I go with 4 sets of comps per side and a midbass per door?
Also OP, Speakers - SSA STORE

everything there will do you good. Just be sure you have the proper amp to run what you buy.

Horns can be very nice if done right every part is important the driver and the horn itself plus location play a huge part in how they will sound. Some are good for mids while others are great as wide range tweets. If you do choose to go horns don't cheap out and do some research. Another choice is bullet tweeters and pa mids will get loud and can be easier to setup.

All the crap everyone is linking you to is just rebadged cheap *** pro audio speakers. Horns are actual compression drivers used in pro audio mounted to horns that will fit into a car. I can tell you from first hand experience a set of horns when sound better than a bunch of tweeters in the car and it will also be capable of getting louder. Get the horn bodies from eric and a budget set of compression drivers if pricing is that big of deal. That's if you want it to keep up the best it actaully can and have a better SQ. Plenty of people throw a bunch of cheap crescendo and prv mids in teh doors, it does get louder in the focal range than standard car audio components, but that's all the positive I can honestly say and I heard a LOT of cars this year at slam. IF your only goal is to keep up and hear words and you want your build to be standard, do what all the SPL guys do who put in front speakers as an afterthought. Guys at DIYMA know a lot more about full range music playback and are guiding you based on their goals, which are somewhat differerent since they are mostly SQ oriented.. Doesnt' mean a single set of horns cant' outdo a **** ton of $15 bullet tweeters.

All the crap everyone is linking you to is just rebadged cheap *** pro audio speakers. Horns are actual compression drivers used in pro audio mounted to horns that will fit into a car. I can tell you from first hand experience a set of horns when sound better than a bunch of tweeters in the car and it will also be capable of getting louder. Get the horn bodies from eric and a budget set of compression drivers if pricing is that big of deal. That's if you want it to keep up the best it actaully can and have a better SQ. Plenty of people throw a bunch of cheap crescendo and prv mids in teh doors, it does get louder in the focal range than standard car audio components, but that's all the positive I can honestly say and I heard a LOT of cars this year at slam. IF your only goal is to keep up and hear words and you want your build to be standard, do what all the SPL guys do who put in front speakers as an afterthought. Guys at DIYMA know a lot more about full range music playback and are guiding you based on their goals, which are somewhat differerent since they are mostly SQ oriented.. Doesnt' mean a single set of horns cant' outdo a **** ton of $15 bullet tweeters.
This FFS.

Also, I have no idea why the dudes in the beginning of the thread were ragging on Eminence. They make some very nice drivers.

well **** lmfao. I knew your name looked familiar :p.

I really want to just go with the horns because it's easier than doing 4 sets of components... I don't have to cut anything... I'll have to cut for my 10 inch beymas but that's not as time consuming as cutting for 8 fricken speakers hahaha

So everyone here so far has been against horns whereas everyone over at diyma is for horns... hmmmm.............
Horns are by far the best speakers for high frequencies if SPL is your goal. ID horns will pair nicely with a pro audio 8" mid from B&C or even PRV in each door. Stay away from all the car audio branded PA crap that people on this forum will tell you to get. DIYMA is much more educated than here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.