home zero gage and car zero gage?????

Gauge* //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Most car audio wire is oversized. For example, the 1/0 wire I have is the same size as some 2/0 welding cable I bought

Last edited by a moderator:
*** Gauge ***
AWG is AWG. Insulation can vary thickness, but the wire itself should be the same circular mils.

and yes there is a difference...... strand count.

you dont want 7 strand home wiring in your car/truck.... period.
^^ This. Plus the insulation on house wiring is likely to be less than what we desire in an automotive environment.

I dont see it being an issue on running it, as long as your careful with the runs, and use split loom...

The strand count will be different, but thats not the main issue. The problem will be that it wont be as flexible as traditional car audio wire, so it will be hard to run.

Gadge* //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Most car audio wire is oversized. For example, the 1/0 wire I have is the same size as some 2/0 welding cable I bought
io

Strand count is much more important than whether cable is oversized for the rated gauge.

12 strand home 1/0 is not going to handle 200 amps as well as 2000 strand car audio/welding wire

The difference in strand count Has the biggest effect on flexibility. There are many variations of 1/0 AWG wire. Just saying "home" wire isn't telling.

Car audio wire doesn't have to have as good of insulation, the voltage is low. Whereas 600V wire has insulation that is quite different.

For example, NEC rates 1/0 ampacity based on installation (open air, in conduit, underground, etc.), based on connection method (60, 75, 90 deg C. lugs), and ambient temperature. Note that we are delivering a lot more power since voltage is higher. I can (and do) serve a 124,000 Watt load with THHN 1/0 awg at 480V 3phase, in metal conduit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.