Home Theatre Set-up in Basement $1,000 budget Options?

mike11202
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
DE
One of my friends is planning on getting an audio system in their basement, they were looking at a bose system but I was thinking they could do better with that money.

Main purpose is for loud music, secondary is the tv.

The basement is fairly large and is a somewhat of a L shape.

I was thinking 4 Voco Pro active powered 10" 3-ways w/ 12" active subwoofer w/ harmon kardon receiver

Any ideas or suggestions?

VocoPro is crap. You'll only be disappointed. I'd go with something else. You say the room is fairly large? Whats the layout of the room going to be? Any way to get a drawing? Where stuff is? where are people mostly going to be? I really think 4 10" 3-ways are going to be a big much for a basement. You should be able to get away with less.

Are they looking for surround sound capabilities when they watch tv?

If you can answer my questions I might be able to help, but creating a system mainly for loud music doesn't really mix well with a surround sound system.

VocoPro is crap. You'll only be disappointed. I'd go with something else. You say the room is fairly large? Whats the layout of the room going to be? Any way to get a drawing? Where stuff is? where are people mostly going to be? I really think 4 10" 3-ways are going to be a big much for a basement. You should be able to get away with less.Are they looking for surround sound capabilities when they watch tv?

If you can answer my questions I might be able to help, but creating a system mainly for loud music doesn't really mix well with a surround sound system.
room.jpg

orange = tv area

red = bar

green = pool table

blue = ping pong table

gray = dart board

those aren't to scale just giving you an idea

they would prefer keeping the audio in the orange section, can go outside if it has too

people will be around the bar mostly, would rather have it more on the loud side rather then surround

room.jpg

I'm still looking for the stuff to fit under your budget but this should give you a general idea of placement. The fill monitors should be something small. I'd like to tell you to use some EVIDs but it's not going to be in your budget. You'd want to look for something small that you could hang in the corner, otherwise it's gonna be pretty dead over there based on the room layout.

I'm going to look around some tonight to see what you could do, but it's been a long day so I'll probably have to continue tomorrow.

that looks like exactly what i was looking for on the spot, i appretiate your help.. any recommendations on products would be great

Sorry I've been pretty busy I haven't been able to try and find specific stuff to recommend. Using Pro-Audio gear is definately not going to be in your budget, but it shouldn't be needed for a basement setup. I'm leaning towards an older B-stock receiver for the processing and amplification. This will allow more money to be spent on speakers and give you the best power to price ratio, as long as your not worried about having the newest HDMI or 20 different types of derived surround sound modes.

I'd take a look at http://www.dakmart.com at the B-stock Denon stuff they sell. The price is usually pretty good. All denon B-stock has a 90 day warranty, however I believe Dakmart offers their own warranty as well.

I should have time this weekend to do some more research and get you pointed in a more specific direction.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.