Home Car Audio Builds

Participant count
  • Participant list

T.I.K.
10+ year member

F*ck it, we'll do it live
Michigan
How would one go about using car audio products in a home theater application, as in... how would the different environment effect tuning box size, and how would i run car audio amps on the AC outlets?

could just get a trickle charger and a 12v battery would work thats what i do for my "moble boom box just has a small 12v battery 4chan amp 4 speakers and an old hu.....

could just get a trickle charger and a 12v battery would work thats what i do for my "moble boom box just has a small 12v battery 4chan amp 4 speakers and an old hu.....
I'm really wanting to do like a computer system, I'm thinking like 2 tens on 600w, and 2 sets of 6.5 comp sets, I imagine there are 120AC to 12DC converters out there, I just couldn't find one in the 5 minutes i looked for one, lol

Car audio can work in a house, But the amps are a bad idea. Unless you WANT to heat you room with the converter and amps. Get home audio amps - they will be cheaper than the huge 12 volt power supply needed. There are lots of other issues also. HT uses much lower tuning than cars in general. Also most car mids are high qts so that can work in a door. If you are serious about a DIY speaker system give a price range you want.

Duane

Car audio can work in a house, But the amps are a bad idea. Unless you WANT to heat you room with the converter and amps. Get home audio amps - they will be cheaper than the huge 12 volt power supply needed. There are lots of other issues also. HT uses much lower tuning than cars in general. Also most car mids are high qts so that can work in a door. If you are serious about a DIY speaker system give a price range you want.

Duane

Car audio can work in a house, But the amps are a bad idea. Unless you WANT to heat you room with the converter and amps. Get home audio amps - they will be cheaper than the huge 12 volt power supply needed. There are lots of other issues also. HT uses much lower tuning than cars in general. Also most car mids are high qts so that they can work in a door. They don't do very well in a box. If you are serious about a DIY speaker system give a price range you want. I will give you a link to one that will kill any thing you can do for the same $ with car audio Drivers.

Duane

i run car audio equipment off of computer power supplies due to retarded low budget. Home Theater amplification is better and more efficient, but for the same power, much more expensive. you can pull used computer power supplies and they convert 120v AC to 12v DC with usually a high amperage that will support from 500-1000 watts. PM me and I can write you up an instruction list. as far as speakers, youll want to use real home theater speakers for midrange. I cant tell much of a diff between car audio and home audio high range stuff. subwoofers are easy and you can use most car audio subwoofers for a home audio application. you will want to tune the subwoofer enclosure really low. 26-30 hz is generally ideal. i can take pics of my setups if you want.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.