Hole in my dust cap 13.5 JL W7

medeiro
10+ year member

NY
I have a 13.5 JL W7 which has a hole poked through the dust cap. I have a few questions;

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement dust cap?

How do i remove the dust cap?

Does the hole effect the performance of the sub?

Thanks guys.

I have a 13.5 JL W7 which has a hole poked through the dust cap. I have a few questions;
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement dust cap?

How do i remove the dust cap?

Does the hole effect the performance of the sub?

Thanks guys.
your dust cap or your cone? the w7 does not come with a dust cap so it would have to be after market....

Actually I believe the w7 does have a dustcap. It is a full size dustcap that covers the entire cone.
Yes you are correct. The hole is not in the cone. If i look inside the hole i can see the cone. Im pretty sure this is just for cosmetic... can anyone confirm? The pic below is what my speaker looks like.

Actually I believe the w7 does have a dustcap. It is a full size dustcap that covers the entire cone.
seems pointless but hey its JL, whatever looks cool //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

They do have a dustcap, I've seen them being made. Just listen to it, if it sounds like **** then it effects the performance. It would be cheaper to send it for a recone through somone on here if its messed up.

contact dave teampsi he has huge dustcaps like re uses but you might have to trim it down or something cause odd cone size. anyway contact him for info...

your dust cap or your cone? the w7 does not come with a dust cap so it would have to be after market....
All fixed magnet loudspeakers have a dustcap if they don't have a phase plug, whizzer cone or coaxial driver. As was said, the dustcap covers the hole cone to give a smooth concave look. Other examples are the RE Audio subs, Acoustic Elegance AV line and the Image Dynamics subs.

Yes the w7 does come with a dust cap... beneath the cap is the cone. I had the same problem and got my replacement part from fixmyspeaker.com for $45 bucks. Not the exact dust cover as jl because they do not make them to sell, only repair through their center. First picture is of cracked dust cover. 2nd picture is after I trimmed the dust cover off exposing the cone until I received my new dust cover. Really easy fix. Hope this helps. 

20190223_154544.jpg

20190223_170011.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.