HO Alt vs Dual OEM alt setup

sbarber82
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I am one of the people that have been ripped off by Tenney Alternators and am in the market for a new alt. I am thinking of going with a setup DC offers that uses my stock alt and one of their OEM 185 amp alternators. This setup will produce 260-270 amps at idle, and over 320 amps of max output.

Or I can go with a single 340 amp HO alt.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of going with a dual setup?

What would you go with?

In my experience I have never had a reliable "high output alt" they work great for 6 months to a year then they crap out and leave you vehicle out of service until u either order a replacement or go back with a stock alt. what has worked well for me is running multiple oem alts . For 1 having 2 alts gives u insurance against being stranded from a single alt failure. Only real drawback is the bracket you have to fab or buy after market. I am a welder/fabricator so the bracket is no prob for me to make. the best setup I have ever come accross for the money is building a bracket that will accept an alt off of a 398 catapiller 12 cylinder diesel moter. They are rated at 220 amps at 2400 rpm so when u run them at the higher rpm that gas moters run at the put out an easy 350-400 amps. Now I work in the oil field so it's easy to come across these alts for me but it shows you what can be done with a lil forthought.

If you want say 200-250 amps you can run a duel set up and isolate the charging system where the big alt off say a caddie 200-240 amps charges the amp batteries and the oem handles the rest. This IMHO is ideal because u can run your amp batts dead and still start your car without isolators (which I have never had good luck with)

So a duel setup is a harder install but more reliable.

I would much rather have say 2 200 amp alts than say 1 350-400 amp alt. These smaller alts put out much more at idle, and tend to just work better. These huge alts tend to be finicky. See, if I was running say 1000w. I would always choose smaller multiples over a large single.

Also I see that u drive Gm product so the 200 amp caddie alt should drop right in, and brackets are readily available so u could do 2 and have 400 amps on hand to set up however u wanted isolated or run together. Only drawback on running them together is having to run isolators if u want to be able to run your amp batts dead and still start your car.

Buck is on the money . I have had several name brand HO alts and none of them last a 1/4 as long as oem alts.
I have this re-done 180 amp alt. The company is called ASE, it's local. He took my factory alt and did whatever he did to it. I have beat the living shit out of this alt. I'm talking tone burps, low bass

Thanks for the advise guys! I was looking at the setup DC has for my truck which comes with a 185amp OEM alt, bracket,belt, and all necessary hardware for $530. If I knew someone that could get me a bracket and correct belt for running the stock alt and the caddy alt someone mentioned I would go that route and prob pay less than the DC setup. Anyone know a guy?

I know I have a ton of room but I don't want to kill my funds when a dual setup will be enough. Do you think the deal from DC or the one I posted is a good deal?? '

I'm pretty sure dual alts hurt your gas mileage due to extra resistance on the belt. The same way that turning off your A/C improves your gas mileage.

But if the vehicle isn't a daily driver, there's quite a few benefits.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.