higher score on SPL 10W7 or 12 RE SX?

Rza
10+ year member

More Senior VIP Member
Miami, Fl
Since Ive never heard either which would be better on a trunk install for SPL a 12" SX or a 10" W7?

or maybe another sub in the $230 range that would be better for SPL comps. no type Rs please.

SX12 vd = 960cm^3

JL10w7 vd = 885.5cm^3

The SX has more displacment capability. But other factors like box, vehicle, power will come in to play.

I choose the SX for more output. Just due to the size and power increase between them.

100% install dependant at that level

a w7 in a good box will be louder than an SX in a bad box and vice versa, when it comes down to it, both with good installs and adiquite power, SX will be slightly louder but a little less musical. Because it is a trunk install minor distortions wont make much of a sonic difference to the listener.

I would say SX simply because its normally not what every other kid runing around town has.

But other factors like box, vehicle, power will come in to play.
Yeah I know that but either one will be in the same trunk, Ive heard some people say a 12w7 will do better than a 12" SX but I wasnt sure if the w7s were like a step above the SX in which the 10" would be better than a 12" SX, or if they were just full of ****. I have about $230 to spend more or less so Im looking for a single sub setup to compete. I will build the box after i have the sub. I can go up to a 15" and stay in the same class 0-15" class but my trunk only goes to 14" high so if i did a 15 it would have to face up or something, so looking at other options as Im not sure on facing up the spacing I would need and stuff.

12sx >12w7 in terms of spl...
Pure SPL install yes, daily, no.

SX is an average 1dB louder than XXX drop in and XXX 15 was 2dB louder than w7 13 for reference. cut cone area in half and they are roughtly the same (this is all theoretically and should be taken as a grian of salt)

Well can you get a 10w7 for $230?? If you can jump on it. I would choose it in a heart beat over a SX. It's just a far better driver.
yes I can (actually about $250) but this is for SPL only. Im not worried about daily driving I have other subs for that. I want something for the monthly comps around here. get some trophies and stuff. I will be switching out the subs just for the competition and putting my other subs in for daily driving.

yes I can but this is for SPL only. Im not worried about daily driving I have other subs for that. I want something for the monthly comps around here. get some trophies and stuff. I will be switching out the subs just for the competition and putting my other subs in for daily driving.
Then the 12SX is a great choice over the 10w7.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.