Hifonics VII/VIII Zed amplifier

Participant count
  • Participant list
They are all bad ***. Very clean and somewhat under-rated. They were real monsters in their time and they still are great by todays standards. Lot of nostalgia for them, so prices are usually a bit on the high side for what they are.

Of course they are late 80's stuff so you may run into life expectency issues with electrolytic caps.

AFAIK almost all of them are only stable down to 2 ohms stereo or 4 ohm bridged. There are a couple "cheater" amps from that era, but Stephen is not a big 1 ohm proponent so rule of thumb is keep them higher impedence.

Depending what you're trying to get for power/channels I think better deals can be had for other old Zed amps that are less chase for collectors.

they are all bad ***. Very clean and somewhat under-rated. They were real monsters in their time and they still are great by todays standards. Lot of nostalgia for them, so prices are usually a bit on the high side for what they are.
Of course they are late 80's stuff so you may run into life expectency issues with electrolytic caps.

Afaik almost all of them are only stable down to 2 ohms stereo or 4 ohm bridged. There are a couple "cheater" amps from that era, but stephen is not a big 1 ohm proponent so rule of thumb is keep them higher impedence.

Depending what you're trying to get for power/channels i think better deals can be had for other old zed amps that are less chase for collectors.
i do know that it is 2ohms stable,for sure, and is a mono block amp.ive never known the true rms that the amp delivers,but it seems to out perform alot of todays 5-600 watt amps that ive used.i know it will push a pair of 600rms old school re 10s without any issues..had it on those for over a month,and also on a cerwin vega 12in stroker,for about 3 months,and neither could handle over 1 oclock position on the gain

had plenty of boltars..zues...even had an autotek 7600..same as zues...but has been awhile...my boltar even ran at 2ohm mono too.
ive had a couple boltars,and they were truely some brute a ss ampS!!!

Did you find some to run?
i have a couple sitting atm..viii-2-plutos,1-vulcan,1-cyclops,and one vii gemini..was trying to unload the cyclops for a guy on here with the infinity kappa perfect 10,350 rms, and he doesnt seem to think it has enough power to run that sub?????????????? i myself,dont think that sub can take it,at least no for long

It would be perfect for that sub....nice small amp too.
That sub may be able to withstand the approx of the 11 Oclock position..I had it pushing my monster 1000rms 10s@2ohms at the 1 Oclock position,without it breaking a sweat:naughty:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.