Hifonics HFX12D4 sub review

chris015
10+ year member

sc
Purchased 2 of these guys to try them out due to alot of word of mouth on how they are some really nice dirt cheap budget subs.

Looks :

Looks decent,not a whole lot of the pretty bright cheap looking colors etc of other cheap budget subs.

Structure quality :

I was a bit disappointed on the quality of the material,foam ring is really thin,and the housing is thin metal too. Its not thin enough that i could flex it with my hands,but its not as heavy as my fosgate p2 subs. For the price,i dont think this is a big deal.

Power :

Box says 400 rms @ 4 ohm. My amp is 2 channel 500 rms @ 4 ohm and 900 rms @ 2ohm. I wired them on a 2 ohm load.

field testing :

I loaded them up in a dual prefab sealed box which says its a 1.25 cu per sub,which is what this sub requires in a sealed box. Ive had them for about 2 months. the night i got them I started off at 250 rms each. I Went off to meet up with my parents for dinner a hour across town and i played some music to try them out. I had my equalizer settings off during the first test. They played exceptionally well. I was surprised with it only having 250 rms apiece.

After i got back i turned up the amp to the rated power of 400 rms. for each and played with my equalizers a little. They hit pretty well,The excursion isnt all that great but well worth the bang for the buck. my mirrors were shaking and my pennies in my tray was sliding. Good enough for what they were intended for.

After about 2 months they are still playing as good as they did the day i bought them. I may pick up 2 more and build a box for the 4 of them. These are perfect budget subs for the beginner basshead. Ive been in the game for about 6 months,ive learned ALOT since then.

i had 2 of the older ones (HIFI) and they surprised me. mine were rated at 300 rms and all i gave them was 200 each and in 1.6 cubes tuned to 33hz did very well.

Nice review, now throw 4 in a ported box tuned around 32-35 and the lows will come out.
I have no idea what this prefab'd box is tuned too,but for now its what i have. Im going to build a box later this summer for 4 or 6 of these subs,but i have to buy a amp with more then 900 rms for these subs.

i had 2 of the older ones (HIFI) and they surprised me. mine were rated at 300 rms and all i gave them was 200 each and in 1.6 cubes tuned to 33hz did very well.
Sounds good. Apparently the hfx subs have better coils from what ive read on the forums etc. Not sure on that though. pretty darn good subs for the buck.

I have no idea what this prefab'd box is tuned too,but for now its what i have. Im going to build a box later this summer for 4 or 6 of these subs,but i have to buy a amp with more then 900 rms for these subs.

Sounds good. Apparently the hfx subs have better coils from what ive read on the forums etc. Not sure on that though. pretty darn good subs for the buck.
olders have the better coils, also push terminals. hfx is the cheaper made line which is a pity.

aww that *****. Oh well. Maybe il try some hfi's then next time. It really did irritate me that it didnt have push terminals. i had to spend $10 extra bucks on the **** connectors.

Google "hfi vs hfx" and there is a small thread about it....few random people say the hfx's have better coils etc. I wish we could get a rep for hifonics to chime in..but i doubt thats going to happen.

i sell both of the HFI and the HFX and there both trash $40 subs but out of the 2 the HFI has a better look and better terminal, HFI is rated at 300rms and only needs 150rms to get moving, the HFX is rated 400rms and takes same 150 to get moving, i honestly think they just upped the rms rating and did nothing to the sub, only difference is the black ring in front instead of the chrome, i sell these daily for $40 a sub and the noobs and young kids love them lol, i have ripped apart blown ones and the coils look identical and so does the tiny little magnet of a motor structure under the wack plastic cover. but like i said.. kids love them lol

I had two of the way older ZS12's - dual 2 ohm and those things use to take rated power like a champ. They were dirt cheap too. About a year ago I had two of the BRZ 15's that were selling for around $65 each at the time and hit 138.4 db with those in a SEALED box designed to have trunk space (it was small lol)...

HF Subs are pretty **** good for the money!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

chris015

10+ year member
chris015
sc
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views