Hey bassheads... I need some help making a BIG Upgrade decision.

Participant count
  • Participant list

bass.dealer679

CarAudio.com Newbie
So as of right now I have a sundown x15v2 on 3k @1ohm doing a 146.53db @35hz. Box tuned to 32. I want to do a system overhaul and upgrade to 2 18s Tuned to 29. Heres my choices..

2 Sundown x18v3 on Taramps Bass 8k @.5 ohm

2 resilient sounds platinum 18" on MD 12k @1ohm

Im a sundown guy obviously... first system ever and is the one I have now and it sounds incredible, but for the price and quality ive seen some nasty resilient sounds builds. They take alot of power as well. I already have a mechman 370 + xs d3400 under the hood and the big4, but id be adding 3-4 xs power d3400s for both upgrades in the back with another 0 gauge run to the MD12k for the platinum build.

Keep in mind I am a competitor and am going for SPL with added sound quality in my door speakers.

Let me know what you guys think. Sundown, or Resilient? I have videos of my build on instagram @bassinburban

So as of right now I have a sundown x15v2 on 3k @1ohm doing a 146.53db @35hz. Box tuned to 32. I want to do a system overhaul and upgrade to 2 18s Tuned to 29. Heres my choices..

2 Sundown x18v3 on Taramps Bass 8k @.5 ohm

2 resilient sounds platinum 18" on MD 12k @1ohm

Im a sundown guy obviously... first system ever and is the one I have now and it sounds incredible, but for the price and quality ive seen some nasty resilient sounds builds. They take alot of power as well. I already have a mechman 370 + xs d3400 under the hood and the big4, but id be adding 3-4 xs power d3400s for both upgrades in the back with another 0 gauge run to the MD12k for the platinum build.

Keep in mind I am a competitor and am going for SPL with added sound quality in my door speakers.

Let me know what you guys think. Sundown, or Resilient? I have videos of my build on instagram @bassinburban

Get a pair of DC Level 5 or 6 18's and let me design a you box for them. The Sundown X's aren't really the best woofers for SPL, they have quite a bit smaller cone than many other woofers. I know the 12's Sd is fairly small compared to many other 12's, I'd have to check on the 18's.

I actually had 2 DC XL m1 18's @ 29 hz and did a 149.3 @ 35 hz on a rated 2400 watts rms (probably 2700-2800 watts total). Here's that system:

I did like a 145 at 25-27 hz, peak 149.3 @ 35 hz, and did 147+ up to 65-70 hz. This was not an SPL box. It only had 12.3 in^2/cube of port area and was 13 cubes net (a little big). It was a low-end musical box. Never cared about scoring.

Based on what you want, those DC level 5-6's would work very well. Stay away from full bridge amps, IMO. I'd run something like a Salt 8k. You're going to get better performance playing and peaking low by not using a full bridge amp, and in the opinion of a lot of dudes I design for that have absolutely massive systems and are very loud on the lows and music. You should run better amps if you're going to have subs like you have and be tuned @ 29 hz. Those DC's have Fs's in the 20's, really powerful motors, over 30mm of Xmax; I think they're right up your alley.

The Fi recommendation is really good too. If you're only going to run 2 woofers, I would 100% recommend you get 4" VC woofers, based on your tuning and power levels, because many 4" VC woofers have a fairly low Fs vs higher power 3" woofers, which seems to go along with what you'd want for your box tuning/playing. You might also consider the SQ HDX418's.

Last edited:
Get a pair of DC Level 5 or 6 18's and let me design a you box for them. The Sundown X's aren't really the best woofers for SPL, they have quite a bit smaller cone than many other woofers. I know the 12's Sd is fairly small compared to many other 12's, I'd have to check on the 18's.

I actually had 2 DC XL m1 18's @ 29 hz and did a 149.3 @ 35 hz on a rated 2400 watts rms (probably 2700-2800 watts total). Here's that system:

I did like a 145 at 25-27 hz, peak 149.3 @ 35 hz, and did 147+ up to 65-70 hz. This was not an SPL box. It only had 12.3 in^2/cube of port area and was 13 cubes net (a little big). It was a low-end musical box. Never cared about scoring.

Based on what you want, those DC level 5-6's would work very well. Stay away from full bridge amps, IMO. I'd run something like a Salt 8k. You're going to get better performance playing and peaking low by not using a full bridge amp, and in the opinion of a lot of dudes I design for that have absolutely massive systems and are very loud on the lows and music. You should run better amps if you're going to have subs like you have and be tuned @ 29 hz. Those DC's have Fs's in the 20's, really powerful motors, over 30mm of Xmax; I think they're right up your alley.

The Fi recommendation is really good too. If you're only going to run 2 woofers, I would 100% recommend you get 4" VC woofers, based on your tuning and power levels, because many 4" VC woofers have a fairly low Fs vs higher power 3" woofers, which seems to go along with what you'd want for your box tuning/playing. You might also consider the SQ HDX418's.

Thank you for the insight. I looked at the HDX4 18s and it does look pretty good. I know a guy with 6 hdx3 12s on a salt 8k in a wall tuned to 35 and his **** bangs hard as ****, but its 6 subs. I'm wondering if the 2 hdx4 18s would slap lows hard like my current x15, but put up better numbers in the low-high ranges. They got a 22.8hz FS! Ex: chest smackin 28-32hz and throaty 45-55hz. DC is too expensive. For the price I could get 4 hdx4 18s or resilient 18s and bang alot harder. I may spend a little more time with my single 15 to save for 4. Depends. I need more time to research.

Last edited:

Dammned!!! They make vehicles so cheap these days!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...