Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

Bru

I went to the shop the other day to narrow down my components. I fell in love with the midbass and overall clarity from the Hertz MLK 2 TW, I just did not budget for $1000 components up front. Is there anything out there that can even compare to these speakers at a cheaper price? My budget is about $500, I'm willing to go a couple hundred in either direction.

The rest of my system is still a work in progress as well:

Sony MEX gs600bt in dash with Nexus 7 tablet molded in front

Amps I'm considering:

Jl hd900/5

ZED leviathan III

Hertz hdp5

Sub I'm considering (finally finished my glass box, came out to .85 cu ft):

Sundown SA 10

IDQv3 10

DCON 10

Installing in a 2012 Ram Crew Cab

Feel free to comment on the rest of the system if you like but I'm really curious about anything that can compare to the MLK 2 TW at a little bit cheaper price.

Thanks!

im def interested. Are you stuck with the sony interface? Was recently looking to having just the Nexus 7 with a USB DAC but keeping my options ope
Not really stuck with the sony but after a TON research and tossing around different ideas, I thought it was my best option for what I wanted. I thought about everything from the USB DAC to a parot bluetooth unit. I wanted bluetooth and I wanted to have control with some type of eq without having to spend hundreds on a bit one/ten so the headunit does all of that for me for cheap. Got it on sale for $150. The headunit is mounted behind the tablet so anytime the tablet isn't there I still have a radio with bluetooth in the truck. When I do have the tablet in, I can control everything on the headunit from the sony app. I also have the remote with an IR repeater installed, I just like the flexibility that I have with having a headunit behind the tablet. I'll post some pics here this weekend for you to checkout.

I pulled the trigger on all my speakers, just got some "place holders" for now. I went with a Sundown Audio SA-10, SA-6.5CS components and the Alpine PDX-V9 amp. I'm installing all of it on Saturday so i'll let you know how it turns out.

I don't think there's anything out there that compares to the MLK for a cheaper price so I'm putting all of this in until I have some Hertz type money in the bank ha.

Too bad you went from interest in nice sq to an average choice. You could have gone with are recent vendor Phd and gotten speakers half the price that sound equal if not better. The sub choice is fine but, the Idq would have been the best sounding followed by the Dcon...

Too bad you went from interest in nice sq to an average choice. You could have gone with are recent vendor Phd and gotten speakers half the price that sound equal if not better. The sub choice is fine but, the Idq would have been the best sounding followed by the Dcon...
Probably less average than Eclipse speakers.

hahaha crap now you have me going back to the drawing board. I got really anxious and the 21 days for the build of the DCON threw me off. I was afraid the IDQ wouldn't be enough for me. I'm going for SQ but I do want a little bump if I decide to turn it up. Well the good thing is I haven't even touched the Sundown stuff and it can be returned. I think I may return the SA-10 for the DCON and just wait the 20ish days or whatever it takes. The DCON is a better fit for my box and amp, I should have just stuck with it in the first place.

[quote name='marc2112']Probably less average than Eclipse speakers.[/QUOTE]

If you are dissing my gear you must be mistaken. The speakers I have although aren't anything great they are above average. @whitedragon551 ; could tell you. I am going with much higher end speakers in the near future anyways.

Ok after seeing those two, it's official that at least the sundown 6.5's are going back. I guess getting anxious and drinking while shopping online isn't a very good idea ha.

Would you put those in the same boat as the hsk's? I think the hsk sounds great but I love the the midbass and how clear the MLK's are.

hahaha crap now you have me going back to the drawing board. I got really anxious and the 21 days for the build of the DCON threw me off. I was afraid the IDQ wouldn't be enough for me. I'm going for SQ but I do want a little bump if I decide to turn it up. Well the good thing is I haven't even touched the Sundown stuff and it can be returned. I think I may return the SA-10 for the DCON and just wait the 20ish days or whatever it takes. The DCON is a better fit for my box and amp, I should have just stuck with it in the first place.
The Dcon isn't going to get as loud as the sa10 but, will be more sq oriented. I would personally go with the Idqv3 it will be louder than the Dcon and sound better. If you want I nice sq oriented driver in that range this is also nice. Arc AudioARC 10

[quote name='murph']If you are dissing my gear you must be mistaken. The speakers I have although aren't anything great they are above average. @whitedragon551 ; could tell you. I am going with much higher end speakers in the near future anyways.[/QUOTE]

Not dissing just confused... you don't seem to have any experience with the phds or the mlks.

The Dcon isn't going to get as loud as the sa10 but, will be more sq oriented. I would personally go with the Idqv3 it will be louder than the Dcon and sound better. If you want I nice sq oriented driver in that range this is also nice. Arc AudioARC 10
Oh ok cool, I was definitely worried about the IDQ not being loud enough so that's good to know. Thanks for the info, I think I'll definitely go back to the drawing board and do it right the first time.

Not dissing just confused... you don't seem to have any experience with the phds or the mlks.
I haven't used Phd yet but, from a quality stand point plus research done I believe they can beat out the Mlk's for less. The Millie's would be a different monster though because they are quite the excellent speakers. I don't mean to piss off a fellow Hertz fan/nuthugger but, I am not a fan of most of their products. I have heard many setups at a NOVA show that had all the different MLK series in them and was not a fan.

I haven't used Phd yet but, from a quality stand point plus research done I believe they can beat out the Mlk's for less. The Millie's would be a different monster though because they are quite the excellent speakers. I don't mean to piss off a fellow Hertz fan/nuthugger but, I am not a fan of most of their products. I have heard many setups at a NOVA show that had all the different MLK series in them and was not a fan.
Which PHD's were you recommending? I'm not familiar with them at all. I'm checking out their site and they have a quite a few. I'm having a local shop put them in so I would be fine runing active or passive.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.