Hertz HSK165 - what would you do?

Hertz Hsk-165I finally got around to installing these babies. I did a few more upgrades at the same time. New HU, ALL new wiring, Dynamat.... Took a little while to dial in the Pioneer 880PRS. I decided to use the active crossover within the 880 and bi-amp my speakers and save the HERTZ passives for something else. I bridged my Memphis 16-MCH1300 for 230RMS@4ohms X 2 for the mids and the sub side would be 600RMS@2ohms for the 2 subs. My Memphis Audio 16-MCA3004 is bridged at 230RMS@4ohms X 2 for the tweets.

I sampled several different formats of music. I continued to play with the EQ and the crossover slopes. After a little work I have finally found the SWEET spot. These things sound great. They love some power. I like clean and clear music. My home 2 channel system is comprised of the likes of Macintosh, Classe, Conrad Johnson, B&W and the so on. I can honestly say that I can walk from my AV room to my truck and find the same quality of music.

I'm sure there are countless systems that would shame my meek set-up. But for me, this is what I've looked for in my ride's system. I can have the best of most worlds. I'll never be able to go for the db drags. I mean I could. I have all the resources to do it. Money, Time, Money, Creative Ability, Money and Connections. But I'd rather hear the clearest, cleanest and most defined reproduction of the music as possible. At the same time I want to be able to crank the sh*t and have it sound good. THAT is what these speakers have done. They play really well at LARGE volume and surprise you at lesser volumes with a sweet and crisp mid section. The highs are calm and cool. They have a subtle richness that make you take notice of what is happening. Clear, crisp, clean and calm. Both blend well with one another.
from speaker review section

Not here 'till tuesday, so it'll be wednesday install at the earliest (most likely thursday, working wed.)

got the PG rsd's in stock location right now, most likely going back into the stock location

My suggestion would be the 300/2. I suppose the best of both worlds option would be the 450/4 enabling you to go active or run fronts and rears.

There was a kicker 650.2 or 4 on sale for around ~100 iirc. Would you consider doing something like that? Would give you plenty of headroom.

^ thanks for the suggestion

but;

1. I don't have much money to play with

2. I need an amp that supports balanced differential output technology, in which only JL and few kicker/RF amps provide. (My stock HU is balanced, got a custom made harness to bypass my stock amp).

how much does the 450/4 run anyway in comparison to the 300/4?

^not educated enough to go active, and not recommended to noobs ;x

idq is ported

i found a local deal on a 300/2, think imma pick that up. i also looked on the jl site and apparently i can get 2 25w's from the 300/2...

but how do i go about doign this? it says theres two 8ohm 25w resistors, is that seperate things that ih ave to buy to make it work? here's the pic

1-4.jpg

googled it, is it something like this that i'd put in between the + speaker wire goign to the rears?

http://www.tedss.com/2021008383/

itempic.asp

^ thanks for the suggestion
but;

1. I don't have much money to play with

2. I need an amp that supports balanced differential output technology, in which only JL and few kicker/RF amps provide. (My stock HU is balanced, got a custom made harness to bypass my stock amp).

how much does the 450/4 run anyway in comparison to the 300/4?
im not sure. but im thinking you could trade the JL for the kicker + money your way.

The resistor is used solely for attenuation purposes.....to attenuate the rear speakers.

It isn't required.

But yes...if it were something you wanted, you would have to purchase it separately.

The resistor is used solely for attenuation purposes.....to attenuate the rear speakers.
It isn't required.

But yes...if it were something you wanted, you would have to purchase it separately.
Thanks for the answer

Can you verify that it's the right way to do the connection and that it is the right resistor?

inline speaker wire connection with wire going to xover-> 25w 8ohm resistor -> rear speakers

I assume the fronts will still recieve roughly 150watts, rears only getting 25w (just need a little fill for rear passengers)

Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Thanks for the answer
Can you verify that it's the right way to do the connection and that it is the right resistor?

inline speaker wire connection with wire going to xover-> 25w 8ohm resistor -> rear speakers

I assume the fronts will still recieve roughly 150watts, rears only getting 25w (just need a little fill for rear passengers)

Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I'm going to sound like a dumbass but are you sure? If your 300/2 does 150x2 and you are splitting it between 4 speakers, you'd be getting 75x4, roughly. So these are the 2 things that I'd question:

1. Does the resistor affect sound quality in any?

2. Would that resistor only give 25 watts to the rears or would it take away 25 watts from the 75 going back there and end up sending the rears 50 watts?

well the 300/2 is rated at 11v, and its kind of underrated and i read somewhere its between 170-190w rms per channel.

i'd like to get the fronts 150 watts if possible but anything around that should be fine, the hertz is rated 125w continous.

1&2 hopefully someone can answer this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

If anything I can just power the hertz without rear fill,until I have the money to trade the 300/2 for a 450/4, that way i'd get 150 to the fronts and 75 to the rears which would be near-perfect.

but if I could get that lil bit of rear fill without affecting SQ and taking too much power from the fronts i'd like to do that since I have rear passengers often

well the 300/2 is rated at 11v, and its kind of underrated and i read somewhere its between 170-190w rms per channel.
i'd like to get the fronts 150 watts if possible but anything around that should be fine, the hertz is rated 125w continous.

1&2 hopefully someone can answer this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

If anything I can just power the hertz without rear fill,until I have the money to trade the 300/2 for a 450/4, that way i'd get 150 to the fronts and 75 to the rears which would be near-perfect.

but if I could get that lil bit of rear fill without affecting SQ and taking too much power from the fronts i'd like to do that since I have rear passengers often
I'm interested to see if anyone has anything to say about using a 2 channel to power 4 speakers too since I'm going to be in the same situation.

bump for running 4sp. on 2ch amp; scroll up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm interested to see if anyone has anything to say about using a 2 channel to power 4 speakers too since I'm going to be in the same situation.
nothing wrong with it besides losing the ability to fade. I'd say **** rear fill and just use the front. That's how I ran the hertz. Besides they're loud enough for rear passengers to hear.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.