helpin a buddy

Participant count
  • Participant list

85Caprice4d
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Milwauke, WI
My buddy just bought some subs and an amp for his ride. I told him to wait so I could help him get some good ****, but what he got i dont think is so bad. He doesnt know anything about it, so he didnt give me all the specs - or names - but he seemed to have it figured out pretty good.

He wants me to do it this weekend, and seeing as how i dont know much about the subs or amp - i was wondering if i gave you guys some info - you could tell me if i should wire it inline or what

edit://

amp : kenwood kac-9103d

he said he didnt know insignia - but he said 600 watts and 1800 watts of music power?

im thinking - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8231433&type=product&id=1168042688052&DCMP=KNC-TLC&ref=25&loc=SHZ&srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=09-51733132-2

is there a certain way i should wire this?

its 2 12" insignia - with that kenwood amp - how should i wire it so it pushes both subs? Im not a pro at wiring and setting/tuning amps - like each sub is a 4ohm dual voice coil - so does that mean i run the amp at 4ohms?

like one of my main questions is:

with this amp - isnt he going to need 2 of these amps?

i tried telling him to wait to take me with him but he was excited

so run them both to the same channel?

"Adding Speakers in parallel decreases the overall resistance of the circuit

Parallel Speaker Wiring combines all Speakers (+) positive Speaker leads together, and all (-) negative Speaker leads together.

Adding additional Speakers is as easy, however, adding Speakers in Parallel causes the overall resistance of the circuit to drop, as resistance drops, the current must increase according to Ohms Law. So, each time a Speaker with the same resistance is added to the parallel circuit, the current draw on the amp increases. The circuitry of the amp must be able to handle this increase in current at the reduced resistance.

Formula: Znet = 1 / (1/Z1 + 1/Z2 + ... + 1/Zn)

Example:

2 X 4 Ohm Speaker = 1 / (1/4 + 1/4 ) = 2 Ohm Load"

http://www.marshallforum.com/cabinets-speakers/158-speaker-wiring.html

this is true? 2 ohm load since its 2x 4ohm?

okay thanks man. alot actually.

so since the amp pushes max of 1800 watts and i hear this model amp is underrated?

each sub should be getting 600w rms?

dont pay attention to the "max" wattage..its a number you'll never see. pay attention to the rms.

the site i read said 600rms at 2 ohm..1 ohm unrated. and idk bout the "underrated" part lol..

id say theyre getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-500rms a piece

dam well thats not to bad - w.e its his first system - and my first "solo" install since he knows nothing - i was really hoping hed get better equiptment - not a fan of these subs, and id really like to push more through each

thanks for the help

well how much did he pay? if it was from a shop id try to return it. a lot better sounding and louder can be had with a good single sub setup.

i mean..a 2" vc? the subs as a whole look much better suited for use as a paper weight. but i wont pass judgement having never heard them..

idk what he paid - his parents are loaded and they buy him w.e he wants - so that why i was so surprised when i heard what he bought?! like...idk he coulda atleast got some type-r's from like bestbuy or somthing? idk where he got it, probably bestbuy - lol. like i said, he knows nothing and got sick of waiting for me to have free time to go with him - so w.e - first install he will like it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

85Caprice4d

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
85Caprice4d
Milwauke, WI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date