help with tweeter noise (running active)

Participant count
  • Participant list
turn your gain down on the tweeter channel or if your hu has level matching built in turn your tweets down, I had this problem and turned my gains down just a little bit and level matched and it went away

turn your gain down on the tweeter channel or if your hu has level matching built in turn your tweets down, I had this problem and turned my gains down just a little bit and level matched and it went away
tried turning the gain down for the tweets and didnt do anything. it made it a bit quieter but didnt go away, went all the way down with the gain and it was still there. what does this level matching do that u speak of?

My alpine 9887 has level matching for running active so that if you tweeters are way more sensitive you can turn them down a few dbs to match your mids but sounds like you may be getting some weird outside interference if it still does it on minimum gain

the whine is usually signal ground related, which is unaffected by wire routing.

since you have the whine on both tweeters and mids (but more noticeable on tweeters due to the frequency of the noise) it is associated with HU, RCA's, and amp.

could be the amp itself.

could be resistance between HU ground and amp ground. both should be grounded the floor.

could be a bad connection in an RCA. even new ones have failures.

the whine is usually signal ground related, which is unaffected by wire routing.
since you have the whine on both tweeters and mids (but more noticeable on tweeters due to the frequency of the noise) it is associated with HU, RCA's, and amp.

could be the amp itself.

could be resistance between HU ground and amp ground. both should be grounded the floor.

could be a bad connection in an RCA. even new ones have failures.
i cant hear no whine comming from the mids just the tweets. could you give a little more insight on the grounding suggestion?

ground head unit to the floor, sand away paint, etc. make sure amp and HU are grounded to the same piece of metal - i.e. no tack welds between the two. the floor should be electrically continuous from the firewall to the tire well.

ground head unit to the floor, sand away paint, etc. make sure amp and HU are grounded to the same piece of metal - i.e. no tack welds between the two. the floor should be electrically continuous from the firewall to the tire well.
Ok well ill try running 2 new grounds and see if that solves it. Length of the grounds wont mater? So if i run a ground to drivers side firewall and run the amp ground to the floor of the back foot area would be good?

Ok well ill try running 2 new grounds and see if that solves it. Length of the grounds wont mater? So if i run a ground to drivers side firewall and run the amp ground to the floor of the back foot area would be good?
You ever get this figured out?

ahh, well Im trying to get an idea as to whats wrong with my tweeters (popping and engine whine in tweets only).. I wired them up to a passive Xo, along with front stage speakers using wires from factory deck (now running pioneer avh).. I read on here that pioneer has bad RCA grounds so I wrapped each rca output with stripped 12ga and grounded that out and also ran a new HU ground.. didnt work. So I snipped off the tweet wires and ran new ones... tried moving the wires to different places in the Xo to see if it would make a difference.. Finally just wire all positives together and all negatives and there is no noise, works great! However now Im concerned that there is no filter for the tweet's and they are likely to blow anytime..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

splwj47

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
splwj47
Great White North
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date