Help with Subwoofer Wiring, Please and Thank you!

stikystikyricky
10+ year member

Hey, I have an 89 mustang convertible and just purchased a fiberglass spare tire enclosure that holds 2 10's side by side. I was originally going to cut two holes on top and mount 4 10's and stuff the box.

The 4 10's I purchased are the Kenwood KFC-w2513ps. Wired parallel into 1ohm.

The amp I bought is the Planet Audio BB2400.1

My question:

Even though I already purchased 4 subs, the installer at the car audio shop said to only install three because that would drop it to 1.33 ohms and the amp will see half that? Im not sure what he meant by that.

With my set up, would you recommend going with 3 or 4 subs? I already own 4 subs and am aiming for more for looks.

they dual 2's or what?

No they are single 4 ohm. 4 subs wired parallel 4ohms each = 1ohm

My question is with my amp which is 1ohm stable should I wire 3 subs in at 1.33 ohms or 4 in at 1ohm.

The installer said whatever you wire it too, the amp will see half of that. So if I wire 1 ohm the amp will see .05 ohms?? Im not sure what he was talking about.

Would I be better off as far as looks and sound quality going with 4 subs or 3? Thanks

I would go to a different installer... 4 single 4ohm subs wired to 1 ohm will be fine as long as your amp IS 1 ohm stable. If anything your ohms will rise so Im not sure what he meant by the amp seeing "half"? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Installer is an idiot, or he's trying to pass one over on you... you will never see "half" of your wired impedance... you will see more, due to box rise, but thats a whole other issue... sounds like this dude either didnt want to hook up the fourth, or just really didnt know what he was talking about.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.