HELP with Soundstream AMP

Participant count
  • Participant list

tK715
10+ year member

can someone explain what the bold means?

i have 2-12 subs 300W RMS each @ 4 ohm. this amp seems like it can only push one of my subs since they are 4 ohm? can someone help me out with that, thx in advance. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

sorry for the noobie question.

Brand: SoundStream RMS Wattage: 1400

Model: EGA1400D Condition: New

Channels: Mono (1 Channel)

Product Description:

* 1-ohm Stable

* 1400 watts RMS x 1 chan. 1 ohm

* 700 watts RMS x 1 chan. 2 ohms

* 350 watts RMS x 1 chan. 4 ohms

* Class D Circuitry

* TST™ (Twin Stack Technology) 2 amplifiers to drive one voice coil effectively doubling the power

* Fully regulated, MOSFET power supply

* PWM circuitry

* High quality FR-4 circuit board

* Satellite Power Gain (remote gain control)

* Continuously variable 24dB low-pass crossover (50Hz to 150Hz)

* Continuously variable 24dB subsonic filter (50Hz to 150Hz)

* Variable 0 – 18dB subwoofer equalizer @ 40Hz

* Continuously variable phase alignment (0°- 180°)

* Tri-guard amplifier protection

* Intelligent Distress indicator (IDI)

* Platinum RCA input and output

* Platinum 1/0 gauge power inputs

* 5Hz – 250Hz frequency response

* >80dB S/N ratio

* 0.30% THD

* High-Pass Crossover Frequency : 50 - 600Hz

* Low-Pass Crossover Frequency: 50 - 150Hz

* Dimensions 12.6" L X 2.2" H X 11" W

* 1-ohm Stable * 1400 watts RMS x 1 chan. 1 ohm

* 700 watts RMS x 1 chan. 2 ohms

* 350 watts RMS x 1 chan. 4 ohms
You can pretty much disregard the x1 chan. part because you already know that since it's a mono amp. As for the RMS @ ohm ratings, that is just telling you how much power the amp will be putting to the speaker when wired to a certain ohm load. For example, if you wire a dual 2ohm speaker in parallel to 1ohm, the amp will be giving it 1400w continously.

You can pretty much disregard the x1 chan. part because you already know that since it's a mono amp. As for the RMS @ ohm ratings, that is just telling you how much power the amp will be putting to the speaker when wired to a certain ohm load. For example, if you wire a dual 2ohm speaker in parallel to 1ohm, the amp will be giving it 1400w continously.
im pretty sure this kid has no idea what he is talking about man.

lamens terms it is-

OHM is a resistance electricity has when trying to flow thru the wire. like all things, the higher the resistance, the harder it is to move.

so as a rule of thumb, the lower the resistance of the electricity passing through the inside of the speaker coil (wich is an electromagnet sort of thing), the more power the amplifier can produce.

car speakers are USUALLY single voice coild (have a single wind of wire around the voice coil) and the resistance is 4ohms.

at for ohms, that amp produces 350 watts to ONE speaker.

but, you CAN get more than one speaker. so if you have TWO single voice coil (SVC for short) 4ohm subwoofers - you need to wire the subs in series, or parallel. ok - now to explain that.

http://www.bcae1.com/srsparll.htm

In a series circuit the current must flow through one device to get to the next device. This means that the rate of current flow through all devices is the same.
impspksr.gif

In a parallel circuit (like the two examples above), each device is directly connected to the power source. This means that each device receives the same voltage. The amount of current flowing through each device is dependent on the impedance/resistance of that particular device.

impspkpr.gif
so this is how you hook more than one speaker to a single amp - DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS THE AMPLIFIER CLEARLY STATES THAT IT IS STABLE AT THE CORRECT RESISTANCE (aka impedance)

to calculate for resistance of mutiple speakers and their voice coils- use the two calculators on this site -

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#par

now, if you want US to help you get the most power from that amplifier - what kind of subwoofers are you looking into getting - or what ones do you already have?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.