Help with selection - 1991 Lotus Elan Components and Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

baronkatz
10+ year member

Hello All,

I currently have Infinity Reference Series Coaxials installed with an Alpine 3553 Amp. I am looking to upgrade. I ended up buying The Alpine Alpine SPX-F17T and wanted to use it as a two way system with the 5.25 and tweeter. Unfortunately the tweeters are way too deep for the cheater panels and the crossovers are humungous to the point where they won't fit in the door panel. The SPX-137A is what was recommended to me as the maximum that could fit (for both the tweeter and the crossovers). Does anyone have any other recommendations? As far as SQ I want someting similar to my ADS L690 or ADS L1230 but I want the build quality to be the same as the SPX series Alpines made by Scanspeak that I mentioned. My budget is around $200 New old Stock or Used. Is the SPX-137A the best I can get in terms of that size and build quality? I don't have a chance to listen to ANY of them but like I said I really want an excellent sound that's not too bright similar to my ADS tower speakers at home. MB Quartz looks cheap and cracks easily and the ADS are usually overpriced for ome reason.

I also need a high end amp to replace my 3553 which has a channel out and which I never really liked the sound of that much. I bought a Planet Audio HVT 4CH Tube amp but unfortunately it gets in the way of the trunk latch Clarity and depth is really important to me. The maximum size is 11.5" Wide and 12" Tall so that really limits me. I want the best oldschool amp that $200 can buy. I found an Audison VR404XR that will fit. Any others that one can recommend for that pricerange used?

Thank you. Looking forward to all your replies and recommendations.

The crossovers should not go in the doors. Put them somewhere in the cabin where they will be away from moisture, feet, and motors(fuel pump, HVAC fan).

There are many small amplifiers that will sound good, but it seems like you have a particular set of wants and needs that may be hard to fill given your budget.

Here are some Amps I found so far that will fit: ADS PQ10 or PH12, Alpine MRV-F400S, Audison VR404XR, Linear Power 4253IQ, 4503IQ, and DPSQ50, PPI Art Series A202.

And some speakers: Alpine SPX-137A, MB Quart QSD and QSC series, MMATTS Pro 5.2, ADS 320i or 335is.

All of these seem to be somewhat in my price range. Can people recommend other ones that are high end like this that might fit both physically and in my price range? Again I have very little space for the back of the tweeter so a thin one would be great (like the Infinity Beta's I've seen) and the Amp must be max 11.5x12in. Let me know and thank you!

I want super crystal clear revealing sound, good power, and most importantly not too bright or thin, I want a wide soundstage. I am quite sensitive to really high pitched noises so it will be difficult for me to listen if it's too bright but I don't necessarily want super warm and I definately don't want it to sound bland as most English speakers do (KEF, Celestion, Monitor Audio, etc...) I want fun speakers great for EDM. Think of ADS speakers for the home if you can or Arial Acoustics... or STAX 009 headphones, etc...

*I should also mentioned that the car is a convertible with lots of wind and road noise and an aftermarket exhaust that produces a LOT of engine noice, probably 90db or so. I think I should consider this when choosing which speakers and amp would work best...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the way that the ADS L300s sound (and L690, L1290, L1230) but those are home speakers. I assume that the sound sig of the 320i is similar since they are from the same era? Maybe the later ones 335is and px are different? I haven't heard the MB quarts, Mmats or many other so I am kinda going blind here which is why I need someones help... I want a really fun sound, but not too bright since I'm sensitive to high pitched noises, and not boring like KEF's, Monitor Audios, etc...

So I got a few more suggestions if people can comment on it. Helix Precision series is another Made in Germany amp that people suggested in my price range. Although a lot of people rave about Linear Power being better than the Audison and Genesis Compact Four I was looking at...

As far as speakers go. People have suggested: Oz Audio Oz-130, Nakamichi SP-50, Focal 5k2p, Focal Utopia 5W2Be, Altec M615, Infinity Beta 5. Most of these I cannot even find anywhere though... Dynaudio seems to be out of my price range... Again I would love to have something that sounds like my ADS L690s, L1290s, etc... Home speakers. Hard to explain but I am sure some people will understand...

Oh and I should mention I'm running an 8" JL Audio Sub behind the passenger seat in a custom built box. So the amp will be a 4 channel with 2 channels to the components and 2 channels bridged into one for the sub...

You might be disappointed if you expect similar sound in the car as compared to your favorite home speakers. Yes, car speakers have characteristics that do not change, which is why there is an argument for comparing speakers in a showroom soundboard. However, once you put those speakers into a car the response changes dramatically. Tweeters may need to be aimed more or less toward or away from your ears to make them less offensive to your ears. I would like to make suggestions for you but I have no idea what ADS L690s and L1290s sound like.

It looks like you already have the tweeter location decided. Have you considered the size of the mounting cup for the tweeter? A 1" tweeter may have a flush cup cutout diameter of 1.5" or more, in addition to further clearance around the perimeter of the cup.

I've narrowed my search since I need some tweeters that are fairly small in diameter and shallow mount I can only really use the Alpine-SPX137A, Scanspeak Discovery 820012 and Infinity Beta line of component sets. HAT would work too but I don't want anything that's made in China. Does anyone know what the equivilent scanspeak tweeter is for the SPX-137A and also how does the Scanspeak Discovery 820012 compare to the SPX-137A. They both seem to be scanspeak units but which are higher and and more exciting sounding?

I want something that has that ADS sound with sparkly highs that aren't too piercing or artificial sounding... I'm afraid the Scanspeak and Infinity units might be too warm yet something like MB Quart might be too bright...?

I should mention I will be using it with a Zed Made ESX Q60.4 amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.