Help with an upgrade of my system?

Participant count
  • Participant list
You should be good to go. If unsure, check your final impedance with an ohm meter before you plug into the amp. There should be some manufacturers suggested enclosure specs for the sub on the site such as cubic ft and port size

just thought it's easier to post all of it with just the numbers. I have a rockford fosgate amp and a powerbass subwoofer
There's always a debate on whether or not to power your 1ohm stable amp @ the lowest ohms for the best output, but under your current setup of one 10", you might hear a difference in quality wired at 4ohms in your coupe. Not to mention your amp will run happiest under a 4 ohm load. However, this doesn't discount your amp's capability, so I'd suggest getting another 10" powerbass, finding a prefab ported box closest matched to your subwoofer's manual, wire them at 2ohms then rock and roll. It all depends how loud you want things, what hip/hop/rap artist you listen to and how well the rest of your speaker setup handles the other frequencies. Sometimes, and most of the time for the regular joe, bigger and louder isn't always better. What's your goal?

There's always a debate on whether or not to power your 1ohm stable amp @ the lowest ohms for the best output, but under your current setup of one 10", you might hear a difference in quality wired at 4ohms in your coupe. Not to mention your amp will run happiest under a 4 ohm load. However, this doesn't discount your amp's capability, so I'd suggest getting another 10" powerbass, finding a prefab ported box closest matched to your subwoofer's manual, wire them at 2ohms then rock and roll. It all depends how loud you want things, what hip/hop/rap artist you listen to and how well the rest of your speaker setup handles the other frequencies. Sometimes, and most of the time for the regular joe, bigger and louder isn't always better. What's your goal?
I definitely want a deeper and filling sound I guess to describe it. Right now mine only punches when I want it to fill my car if that makes more sense. Long low notes aren't as loud and filling as I want. I was thinking about doing what Superduty said and getting a 12 inch 750w since 12's are deeper in sound. I will also be moving from sealed to ported. I listen mostly to hip hop in my car, and I didn't really do research before buying my first build.

I definitely want a deeper and filling sound I guess to describe it. Right now mine only punches when I want it to fill my car if that makes more sense. Long low notes aren't as loud and filling as I want. I was thinking about doing what Superduty said and getting a 12 inch 750w since 12's are deeper in sound. I will also be moving from sealed to ported. I listen mostly to hip hop in my car, and I didn't really do research before buying my first build.
Completely understand. A sure fire way of getting those sub lows to accentuate is upgrading the speaker size unless you have a good amount of money to spend. If the acoustics in your coupe allow it, I bet a sealed box to spec would be killer. And a ported enclosure should be siiick. Have fun and remember to experiment over time.

Completely understand. A sure fire way of getting those sub lows to accentuate is upgrading the speaker size unless you have a good amount of money to spend. If the acoustics in your coupe allow it, I bet a sealed box to spec would be killer. And a ported enclosure should be siiick. Have fun and remember to experiment over time.
thanks man, I think I'll go for a 12 and play around with a ported box and see what I like more. shouldnt be too costly. also have some kicker door speakers that were gifted to me to install once it warms up outside.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.