Help with AMP setup

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dalkamyr

Hi guys. I'm writing cause I'm desperatly trying to fix my audio setup.

I bought my kit at future shop. I have 2x 6 1/2 alpine speakers in the front of the car (sps 610 80w rms) as well as 2x PowerBass speakers (6 1/2) 40w RMS in the back. I also have a pioneer 8600 radio and a 12 inch BassStation (kicker pre-amp sub) and an alpine 4 channel AMP (MRP-F300).

So I got it all installed by the tech at future shop. Here's the mystery I'm trying to solve.

1st: The tech installed the 2x alpine speakers up front along with the sub. Everything sounded a bit "clearer" and "crispier" because the alpine speakers bring the vocals out better than the powerbass speakers I already had up front.

2nd: I decided (after lots of research) that it would be wise to amplify all my speakers (all four of them, since the sub is already pre-amped) using the alpine amp. After the tech got done installing the said amp, he told me my current radio (a JVC KD-A605) ONLY HAD one set of RCA outputs so he told me "HE HAD TO" Bridge my wires to get the signal across all my speakers. He warned me I would lose a little bit of power output because of this. He showed me the difference between the "before and after the amp setup"

It sounded FLIPPING amazing !!! I was charmed, except that because of the bridging, I couldn't play with the REAR vs FRONT balance anymore and there was a little bit of "noise" introduced in the speakers after the installation of the alpine amp...

Being a Perfectionnist, I decided to go ahead and get me a new radio (with enough RCA outputs) so I could use the full potential of my alpine AMP. Ever since the Tech installed the new Radio for some reason, I REALLY don't have the punch and the "increased Crispness" I had yesterday, when he had bridged the stuff...

I don't understand how this happened. Now of course, I can toy around with the radio EQ to try and achieve better sound, I could also turn on the "LOUDNESS" setting within the radio, but yesterday when I was still hooked up with the JVC radio, the LOUDNESS setting was off, and I had PLENTY of volume. At 18 volume I had plenty of punch in the sound. Now I have to turn the pioneer radio up to 40 to get the same result with much less clarity and punch in the sound. The only difference between the two readios is the amount of RCA outputs and the voltage. The JVC had 5 volt pre-out, the pioneer has 4V pre-out.

What should I do?

It's not a ton of difference in signal voltage, but I have to wonder if he forgot to adjust the gains on the amp. There might be enough of a difference there to result in a considerable audible difference.

Thanks for the quick reply. I must say I'm quite new to the Car Audio "world".

I actually work at future shop. My expertise is with Home Theater products. So there are a few things I've learned in "general audio" that I can use to understand the world of Car Audio. But the reason I posted here, is because our technician in our future shop store is "skilled" but I don't consider him to be a "perfectionnist"...

I too, thought about the amp, and have a feeling he's either changed the amp "gain settings" or something else. Because when I came in this morning (before he went ahead to "undo" the bridging with Y cables, because we were changing for a radio with enough RCA outputs) I told him that yesterday, I "loved" the sound but noticed a bit of noise... I wonder if he got overzealous and turned down the amp so much, the noise is gone but the Amp benefits as well lol...

I'll find out more tomorrow when I see him again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.