Have a question about Mono amps with Dual Outputs

OK, so without getting into a story, all of my older model, larger RF amps either can't be located ( my old 701S ), or crapped out ( the 600s & 800s I bought on the 'bay ).

So, I temporarily had my Havoc on an old Punch 400s ( bleh )

Today, however, my RF 1200-1d came in ( got it brand new for $179, so can't beat that ).

Anyway, my Havoc has Dual 2 Ohm voice coils.

I currently have the VC's on the speaker connected in series, so the amp should be seeing 4 Ohms.

HOWEVER, the 1200d has two sets of outputs, which it says are internally wired in parallel inside the amp. So, you are able to bridge the positive of one output with the negative of the second.

So, my questions is, does that mean that the amp is actually seeing 2 Ohms, not 4?

AND

tomorrow, when my new box is ready, when I switch the Havoc, I'm going to change the wiring config so that the voice coils are now run parallel. That should be sending a 1 Ohm load to the amp.

At that time, should I no longer "bridge" the two outputs, because that would be showing the amp a 0.5 Ohm load, or is that what RF means when they say that the amp shouldn't see lower than a 1 Ohm bridged load?

I mean, I know I got the amp for a good price, but I'd hate to burn it up so soon after my Havoc is actually starting to sound like its supposed to. Can't wait until tomorrow to see how it performs with the additional 400-600 watts. Birth sheet states 1374 watts.

Thanks for the help.

Para

It's a mono amp man. You can't bridge it. 2 sets of outs to make it easier for hook up. Just use one set for one sub. You will need to wire your sub in series for a 4 ohm load, that's what the amp will see. Just wire it that way and test the sub to reassure yourself that it's good to go.

don't think of it as two outputs. Think of it as two places to connect to one output -- because one, that simplifies it -- and two, that's what it is.

In the Owner's Manual, they actually show the amp in a "bridged" configuration, with a wire going into the positive side of one output and the negative side of the other. Thats actually what confused me to begin with. Then the manual stating that the amp shouldn't see below a 1 Ohm bridged load. Well how can you bridge an amp that only has one output..........obviously you can't. So, thats where my question came from.

8EFC81B1-FD17-4198-B6CB-E9225F9BF7FC_zpsvbjgntdi.jpg

Ok, let me see if I can come at this question in a second way. If the amp manual states that the two outputs are wired parallel inside the amp, then I shouldn't use both outputs if my sub is a Dual 2 Ohm and I've got it wired in parallel for a 1 Ohm load. A 1 Ohm load is what I'm going for, but if the outputs are wired in parallel inside the amp, wouldn't that 1 Ohm load look like a 0.5 Ohm load inside the amp?

hoe lee crap man, get a freaking dictionary and learn a bit. it's a mono block meaning 1 so it doesn't matter what you do as long as the final impedance of all speakers connected to the amp is 1Ω or higher. how hard is that to understand.

The amp sees what the final impedance of the sub is, so if you have it wired in series on a d4 sub, the amp will see 8 ohms. If the sub is wired in parallel, the amp will see 2 ohms. The amp doesn't change the impedance, the wiring of the sub does. The diagram clearly shows the amp can handle a 1 ohm load, therefore, wire the sub in parallel and use 1 pos post and 1 neg post on the amp. The amp will SEE a 2 ohm load.

Hoe Lee Crap ---I knew we had some Coonasses here in LA, but I didn't realize we had us some genu-wine smartasses, as well. Thanks for your reply. If I could be as cool as you and make snarky remarks to guys on the caraudio forums, then maybe one day I could meet you on your long path to the middle. Good luck with that.

To all of the folks who were mature enough to make legit comments, thanks for the replies. My question was asked more out of curiosity than anything else. I know how Ohm loads work. I guess I probably should have asked whether it makes a difference which outputs you use and if it would make a difference if you use one set or both.

Here'e another way of going at my question..........My Havoc is Dual 2 Ohm. I have the voice coils wired parallel at the sub, for a 1 Ohm load at the amp. So, lets say I take both sets of +/- and run them to the 1 Ohm speaker. Since the outputs are wired parallel inside of the amp, could the amp then see a 1/2 Ohm load? I'm not going to do this. This is just a question to satisfy my curiosity

Hoe Lee Crap ---I knew we had some Coonasses here in LA, but I didn't realize we had us some genu-wine smartasses, as well. Thanks for your reply. If I could be as cool as you and make snarky remarks to guys on the caraudio forums, then maybe one day I could meet you on your long path to the middle. Good luck with that.
To all of the folks who were mature enough to make legit comments, thanks for the replies. My question was asked more out of curiosity than anything else. I know how Ohm loads work. I guess I probably should have asked whether it makes a difference which outputs you use and if it would make a difference if you use one set or both.

Here'e another way of going at my question..........My Havoc is Dual 2 Ohm. I have the voice coils wired parallel at the sub, for a 1 Ohm load at the amp. So, lets say I take both sets of +/- and run them to the 1 Ohm speaker. Since the outputs are wired parallel inside of the amp, could the amp then see a 1/2 Ohm load? I'm not going to do this. This is just a question to satisfy my curiosity
Quick answer....no.

People keep asking the same dumb questions without even looking before they ask. And it's not they are wired in parallel they are just wired together.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.