Help with 5 1/4" components, opinions needed...

borborygmi
10+ year member

I'm trying to upgrade my factory system and maintain a 'stock' look to it. I would appreciate feedback on the brightness quality of the Diamond vs. Focal vs. MB Quart vs. JL components (or others) if anyone has experience with these. I'll be using a JL 5005 amp (100X2, 25X2, 250-sub) to run them with simple coaxials for the rear and a 10" JL W3 sub for added bass. I am looking for SQ and recently listened to Boston Pro series vs the JL XR525-CS and definitely did not like the 'brightness' of the Boston Pros.

TIA for your replies.

I love my Quart's too, but for the money I should have gone Infinity Perfects.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Trixter - What specifically about your MB Quarts do you like? (brightness, midrange, etc.)?

wesleysh-What do you like about the Infinity Perfects versus MB Quarts?

Thanks again.

Quite frankly, the price. My Quarts can do anything that I want them to do and keep on smiling, don't get me wrong, but I can't really say their TWICE as good as the Infinity Perfects. Even though my Quarts cost twice as much.

The Q-Series Quarts get louder, clearer and with more midrange fullness than the Perfects. But on a strictly dollar for dollar scale, I recommend the Perfects to people.

quart=bright if you didnt like the bostons you'll hate the mb's they use titanium dome tweeters that are bright (like the bostons) jl uses alumium (still bright but not as bad) try a set of oz audio comps or cdt's with SILK dome tweeters you'll prolly fall in love...mind you car interiors mounting locations all play a role but if you are gonna have the tweeter in an open area where its on axis with your ears (they prolly get fatigued with brightness) titaniums are bad...especially if you dont have eq's

Audiolife,

I appreciate your input. There are no local places to listen to the oz audios or the cdts. What do you think about the Diamond s500s? Would you say they are approximately equivalent to the previously mentioned?

titanium dome= very lively output very bright..i get ear fatigue as well i had the mbs before (yucky without alot of eq) had polks (very bright) i wouldnt hesitate on the oz ask anyone that has heard a set..i also think diamond made a silk dome...alumium isnt that bad but i think u would love silk, have you listened to the boston rally's? they are less tinty ... even if you dont like the rallys that is what you are experiencing fatigue..just listen and see if you notice. i run the jl's but also note i have a processor lol

I don't doubt your recommendation regarding the oz audio's sound, however I'm running into some serious difficulty with my woofer depth. I need to keep it in the stock location and I'm looking at about 2 3/8" of space. Because of the shape of the opening and the surrounding area, I cannot use the brackets. I've done some serious research and people seem to only be able to 'drop in' :

1. ADS (which I can't find anywhere b/c of their buyout)

2. MB Quart (which I think are too bright)

3. Diamond s500 (they make an aluminum tweeter and a silk tweeter)

I found out today that the JL XR525 CS are 1/4" too deep! Looks like I'm finding out that I'm pretty limited. I may go with the diamonds (because I know they drop in) with a silk tweeter (at your recommendation). I'll need to audition them and found a place that has them. Thanks for the advice.

I have jbl 6.5 mids and 1" tweets and they sound good.Loud but clean and crisp.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

borborygmi: I found out today that the JL XR525 CS are 1/4" too deep!

If you want to sell those to me. I'll buy them how's 180 sound, since they're out fo the box. I'll buy them right now. If your interested.

hey audiolife i know this is kinda off subject but i'm hoping you can tell me the answer to my quick question. i got those canton comps. but haven't put them in yet, i plan on putting them in thursday but what kind of tweeter's do they use?? thanks

adam

I am looking into a component system but I am not looking to spend more then 300. How about an alpine component system over the lower end mb quartz? What other component systems would you recommend for under 300 that I should look at.

Jeffrey

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.