Help to choose a 10" subwoofer please!(another noob needing some advice and opions)

Participant count
  • Participant list

lookus

hi i am new to the forum and i would like to ask if you could please give me your opinion on choosing a subwoofer. i recently had a 10" alpine type R in a 1 cubic foot sealed box powered by an alpine MRP-M1000 amp (600w@4ohm/100w@2ohm). however the driver was faulty and will be replaced so i am now considering at a small upgrade and would like to know what you recommend for around $US 400.

up front i have a aet of focal polyglass 165vr splits powered by focal fp2.150 amp( i am very happy with the sound here)

i believe i would like an SQ sub but with a fair amount of sql. i listen to a lot of electronic music ( psychedelic trance ) but also a bit of light rock, folk etc)

i was quite happy with the alpine but i feel it wasn't quite responsive enough(fast) if i describe that correctly.

sub that i have been considering - (please let me know what you think of these)-

image dynamics-IDQ 10 v3

jl audio- 10 w6v2

boston acoustics G5 10

i hope i have given enough info and i hope you can give me some opinions.

i understand it is a question for which there is no real right answer, however for someone who knows so little (like me ) you opinions are greatly valued

thanks.

sorry. i was alo considering the IMage dynamics ID max 10 d2(2ohm). this has a rms rating of 1000w.

could i run this at 2ohms from my amp?( sorry if this is a noob question but i do know with car sound that what SEEMS obvious often isn't.)

thanks for your reply.

i am limited to space. i already have the box which cannot be increased in size.

actually i am able to JUST fit in the 12"image dynamics subs. so i guess i CAN include those in the list.

out of the ones i have chosen is there one in particular that anyone would prefer(and why if you could spare a moment to explain)

and opinions of the IDQ and the ID MAX ?

and could i run the 1000w ID MAX with my amp running at 2 ohms?or is this not a good idea or option?

btw- im running this system in an extra cab utility(small extra cab pick-up)

are these subs i listed a definate upgrade from the 10" type -R?

sorry about all the questions.

All those subs are definitely upgrades in terms of SQ, & that quick response your looking for...but not necessarily SPL. The IDQ12v3 & ID MAX10 should beat it on both accounts though.

Running that amp at 2 ohms would be completely okay. Edit* I see you edited your first post. And you'd need a 4ohm DVC to get a 2 ohm load, NOT the d2 you referenced.

I'd go with the IDQ12V3-d2. Its been my experience that a bigger woofer plays lower notes with more ease. And 1 cu. ft. is on the small side for the ID MAX.

thanks for your opinion. i really appreciate your help.

with what you have said, then if i could fit the 12" ID MAX in my box, would it then be a better choice than the IDQ 12 v3?

also , the ID MAX has minimum reccomended enclosure of 1 cubic foot. as the displacement is .12 cubic feet, i am left with .88 cubic feet in volume. (ie smaller than recommended but maybe still OK.), could i put some poly wool in the box to "increase" the volume of the box thus reaching the minumum recommended volume?

A little bit off topic, but...

It's my opinion that house music and light rock both depend on a strong mid range + smooth transition from bass to mid bass to sound the best. You might want to consider upgrading your components and adjusting the subsonic on the mid/mid bass speakers (if you haven't already) to clean up your sound. Remember that the sub is just a small part of the spectrum, and really is just there to support the other speakers. If you have the boom that you like but your mids and highs can't keep up they will be over shadowed by the sub and overall the system will sound boomy and slow.

EDIT: ohh dear, I fail at reading, sorry I read this like 30mins ago and am just posting now, I fail.

I've never liked the sound of smaller than recommend enclosures. IMO polyfill doesn't help much if anything. Heck I wouldn't even go with the 10" ID MAX in 1 cube, but thats just me.

I can only assure you the IDQ12V3 will be comfortable in that size enclosure & be quite the upgrade from a 10" type R.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

Go with JBL P1022 very good SQ and it can get loud and clear. perfect for your Amp and its less than $150. will match the kind of music you listen to. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

A little bit off topic, but...
It's my opinion that house music and light rock both depend on a strong mid range + smooth transition from bass to mid bass to sound the best. You might want to consider upgrading your components and adjusting the subsonic on the mid/mid bass speakers (if you haven't already) to clean up your sound. Remember that the sub is just a small part of the spectrum, and really is just there to support the other speakers. If you have the boom that you like but your mids and highs can't keep up they will be over shadowed by the sub and overall the system will sound boomy and slow.

EDIT: ohh dear, I fail at reading, sorry I read this like 30mins ago and am just posting now, I fail.

unfortunately i am not yet in a position to upgrade other components just yet. maybe in the future.and when you say components, do you mean the amp running the sub or the focal amp and splits?

as for the jbl sub, i will look into them. i hadn't considered them before.

thanks KOL for your reply. ok so the IDQ would be a better choice with the box i have. sadly i can't really increase the volume of the box. no room and i have to stilll fit the kids in the back either side of the subwoofer of my wife probably won't be too happy with me:verymad:

thanks KOL for your reply. ok so the IDQ would be a better choice with the box i have. sadly i can't really increase the volume of the box. no room and i have to stilll fit the kids in the back either side of the subwoofer of my wife probably won't be too happy with me:verymad:
Not a problem. You can always PM me if you need anything (I'll help if I can). And the wifey & kids are completely understandable //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suave.gif.858fc102f7646e678ee8af7e1fbc41d1.gifAlso, in case you missed it. Make sure your getting the correct voice coil configuration for the ohm load you want to achieve. Your first post makes me think you might be alittle confused on this issue. Anyway good luck.

is this thread still live?

i just have one more quick question

on the advice i received here i was leaning toward the IDQ 12. however my retailer is suggesting the BOSTON G5 10, saying it is a better sub. it is also about 60% more expensive.

i am prepared to spend the amount if i believe it is a better sub.

so , the question is it a better sub, or are they comparable? in which case the IDQ 12 would be the one for me as it is considerably less expensive,

but if it is better i'll take it.

sorry to harp on , but i have narrowed down the field to this. just a little more help and i'll be good.

thanks for your help and patience.

You can't blame him, but the guy is just trying to make some money. In all respects the Boston should go for cheaper than the IDQv3. Like I said before, you'll be happy with any of those subs. And they are all comparable, in that they're all very responsive, musical, SQ subs.

Just from taking your enclosure, amp & previous output into account, I think the IDQ12V3-d2 is the best fit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.