Help! Subwoofer volume lowers when I increase volume on my headunit...

BWB150

I recently installed 2 12" Kenwwod KFC-3012s with a Kenwwod KAC-9105D amp. in a Bassworx dual ported HPR212G enclosure. Here are the specs:

Subs: Single 4-ohm voice coil. Max RMS is 400 watts.

Amp: Mono amp; 500 watts RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms (900 watts x 1 @ 2 ohms). Low pass filter (50-200 Hz @ 24 dB); bass boost; (0-18 dB @ 40 Hz); subsonic filter (15/25 Hz, 18 dB).

I'm happy with the way it sounds when it's working properly, but then this morning I was pounding and I noticed a difference in sound. It seems that when I turn it up to a very high level, the volume in the subs go down themselves. They are still on and are working, but they're not as loud as they should be. Once I lower the volume on the headunit, the subs come back to their normal volume. I turn the volume on the head unit back up, subs bump for a few hits and then go down again. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I have 4 Gauge wiring from both the battery and ground. I'm not sure what could be causing this. I'm thinking it may be a power limitation and not enough juice is getting to the amp, but I'm not sure. Can someone help please?

Also, I think I'm running the amp at 2 ohms. It has two channels (2 -'s and 2 +'s) to hook up both speakers directly from the amp. I believe that would kick out at 2 ohms. Is this correct?

Thanks!

check the wiring...make sure you have them wired to the right load....and make sure they are wired correctly so your subs arent canceling each other out...I remember when I first bought my Type Rs from one of my friends from school he had one of them wired backwards plus the fact that he had 1 2 ohm sub and 1 4 ohm sub....thought he knew about car audio but in reality he didnt know **** lol...

what tends to happen is the amp powering the subs in your case just isnt strong enough, once you get to a certain volume say like 30 out of 40 on the head-unit thats when the amp is maxing out and doing every bit it can, then you proceed to turn it up to say like 35 out of 40, the doors (highs/mids) get louder but subs stay the same, causing you to think they actually are at a lower volume but in reality there not, the amo just cant push out anymore, get a bigger amp.

what deck? stock? if so thats the problem
X2... Some stock decks do weird things as you turn the volume up. They generally tend to have an auto loudness feature that activates at low volume then decreases as you crank the volume knob.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.