Help my son and I build our first box

Blazer1
10+ year member

I have ordered my son 2 RE Audio SRI10 subs (10") and a SoundStream PCX2.540 amp (540w RMS) and need some help building the box.

The box will go under the rear seat of a extended cab Ford F150 so I don't have a lot of room to work with, the box needs to be close to 55"x8"x14". It will be a down-firing box. I am undecided on ported or sealed and open to suggestions. My son listens to all kinds of music and does not it to be loud but would like to be able to impress when needed.

RE Audio recommends .5 sealed and 1.0 ported tuned to 35Hz, I think there is enough room to do this I am just unsure on how to. Any help will be great, Thanks!!!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

u might be able to do ported if you make the port size really efficient.

thsoe measurements give you 2.52 useable space

minus sub disp like 2.42

port will take away at least .5

so ~1.9 ish

will you be doing an aero or slot port?

with a slot port you will want inbetween 14-16 sq in per cuft. that is pretty much a rule of thumb into you really get into making different box designs. this is just an easier way to do the enclosure that has worked for a long time. so lets say you do 15 sq in per cuft of the box. if your box is 2 cuft ( 2 x 15 sq in = 30 sq in of port opening). so you can have your port opening either 10in x 3in, or 15in x 2in, or whatnot as long as the total equals 30 sq in. and remember this is all rule of thumb that many people use to make decent sounding boxes. your depth of then port will all depend on the tuning freq. you want the box to be which others here can help you with as well.

if you are doing an aero port, i would probably do a single 4 inch aero port with that small of a box. since he is just looking for it to sound good and be decently loud, a single 4 inch aero port will do just fine

hope this helps

Dustin

Um he is dealing with under a truck seat no room for 16 inces per cube boxes. ACtually with that much power i would stick to 10-14 inches of port area per cube. 12 inches per cube from a 4" aero would be like the perfect balance of loudness and sq. BUT a 1 cube box with 12 inches of port area needs a port length of around 18 inches for 2 cubes @ 39hz with 2 4" aeros. i think the aeros are shorter you will need pvc then to extend. If you dont want to buy 2 of them theyd be like 24 bucks plus ship or free ship if you got some good speakers too for like 10 bucks each at partsexpress.com you could just use pvc 4" it will work maybe better than slotted mabye nott.

Could also do single kerfed mdf or slot port out the side idk. But with only 250 watts per driver they cant utilize huge ports very well and sound good. the huge ports are for huge volumes of air from 2-3" excursion. not 1 "

NO way sealed is the biggest waste of equipment in the world unless your going for ultimate sq ut yeah NOT worth the output loss.

Dont let ppl tell you ported is only 3db louder which is a lot. A real ported box plays way lower and more like 6-7+ dbs louder than a sealed box no matter what.

Every time i have ever installed a real ported box in someones car alot of just box swaps ppl freak out and realize what they have been missing.

Just happened two weeks ago aq hdc3 10 in a truck under the seat SEALED we switched to a ported box 1 cube with 4" AERO and it made it soo much louder seriously probably over 10dbs on the meter the .5 sealed was just not putting out anything even with tons of excursion

No way in hell you need 30" of port area for that setup. I'd say build the biggest SEALED box you can fit in your space limits then if you still need more output you can consider a pair of 3" round ports or a single 4" fluted port if you can fit.

you know the rule of thumb if your gonna go sealed for space your better off with one sub ported in the same space save money or buy 1 better sub cause it will always be louder that way and sound better!

But he has the subs and he can fit ported so why not! It will Get some flex not an empty pop can only rattler oh my rear rview mirror is distorted with my sealed box it must be loud. I did that exact same thing 2 10's sealed was kinda loud then went with one 12 ported and never went back. two 10s ported can be great!

But if you really dont want to try porting it he is right build the biggest box possible if your going sealed then you can add aeros later if you just want to get it going quick

you know the rule of thumb if your gonna go sealed for space your better off with one sub ported in the same space save money or buy 1 better sub cause it will always be louder that way and sound better!
But he has the subs and he can fit ported so why not! It will Get some flex not an empty pop can only rattler oh my rear rview mirror is distorted with my sealed box it must be loud. I did that exact same thing 2 10's sealed was kinda loud then went with one 12 ported and never went back. two 10s ported can be great!

But if you really dont want to try porting it he is right build the biggest box possible if your going sealed then you can add aeros later if you just want to get it going quick
Please be quiet. You have no clue.

NO way sealed is the biggest waste of equipment in the world unless your going for ultimate sq ut yeah NOT worth the output loss.
Dont let ppl tell you ported is only 3db louder which is a lot. A real ported box plays way lower and more like 6-7+ dbs louder than a sealed box no matter what.

Every time i have ever installed a real ported box in someones car alot of just box swaps ppl freak out and realize what they have been missing.

Just happened two weeks ago aq hdc3 10 in a truck under the seat SEALED we switched to a ported box 1 cube with 4" AERO and it made it soo much louder seriously probably over 10dbs on the meter the .5 sealed was just not putting out anything even with tons of excursion

Holy exaggeration. There s no freaking way you gained 10db's just going from sealed to ported. No way. There are actually educated people here and you won't sway them with your ridiculous claims.

It is really great to see some interest in my thread,........but I have a problem! I have no idea what you guys are talking about.LOL What the heck is and aero port or slot port? I was planning on drilling a couple of 2" holes and sticking a peace of pvc in it.

Maybe it would be best if I posted a picture of the box I will be taking my design "loosely" from, this is the box; Ford F150 Subwoofer Box Installation

Okay, I can go some larger to get the proper area but the box has to be a down-firing box just like this one.

My main concern is sound quality but of coarse I want it to shake the windows.

2 inch ports will not be adequate. I'm not sure If I posted this suggestion before. Private message Ram_designs. He does box designs for 10 bucks and he will be able to give you concrete answers on whether you can go ported or not.

It is really great to see some interest in my thread,........but I have a problem! I have no idea what you guys are talking about.LOL What the heck is and aero port or slot port? I was planning on drilling a couple of 2" holes and sticking a peace of pvc in it.
Maybe it would be best if I posted a picture of the box I will be taking my design "loosely" from, this is the box; Ford F150 Subwoofer Box Installation

Okay, I can go some larger to get the proper area but the box has to be a down-firing box just like this one.

My main concern is sound quality but of coarse I want it to shake the windows.

port options -

a piece of round pvc pipe sanded around the edges to not be sharp is just a round tube port. its size is measured the inner diamater of the pipe.

a piece of round pvc pipe with flair edges around both sides is called an aero port ( think like a trumpets horn ) - and generaly gives a much cleaner sounding port - no rough edges to whistle.

slot port - is you building a square or rectangle chamber inside the box - that allows the port to be tuned to the depth measurment of how deep it goes by how wide and tall it is. this is generaly what we like to build - but it is a space hog inside the box. if you used a aero port it would take up conciderably less space vs building wood port structure that is .75" thick wood all the way around -

if you do go ported - I would recomend to you going aero ports - not shure what diamater size you will want - or how long they will have to be -

as this is dependint on what you wish to tune your box frequency to.

most "standard" boxes here on the site are tuned between 34hz and 38hz for daily driving by average people who just want to be loud

but alot of people actually now are enjoying porting the box to a lower frequency like 27hz up to 33hz wich realley allows the subwoofers to dig realley deep in the bass

unfortunately - most rap music type tracks dont play any notes below 34hz - as specialty bass only type music ( find song bass I love you ) will play down to 10/15 hz range and on a proper setup for the extreme lows = it will rip your gutts out on the low bass... its like sitting inside a volcano.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.