HELP : My Cables Turn Black

Participant count
  • Participant list

pioneer
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
hey guys...today i took out my power from the battery and the ground...and i noticed that the ends have turned from gold to blackish in colour....also my speaker cables from my amp have also turned black

can someone tell me why this has happended...and would i loose any sound quality or performance ?

i am using a PPI 2120 with 8 guage cables

the speaker cables that turned black were from a sub i was trying out...an orion XTR 10s.... used 12 gauge cables on the sub

i look forward to your comments

thanks

I would have to say oxidation. Copper oxidizes really fast when exposed to air. Just clean them up a little before you hook everything up again and you will be fine. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by ramos I would have to say oxidation. Copper oxidizes really fast when exposed to air. Just clean them up a little before you hook everything up again and you will be fine. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Tin the ends of the wires prior to inserting them again and you will not have the issue...

I wouldn't tin the power wire though, just the rest of your cables...

Copper shouldn't oxidize to black for several months in my area, I know it works faster near oceans with a good deal of salt water nearby, but in my area, I can have it exposed for a year without issues.

You lucky devil. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I can get by out a month with out wire oxidizing. It must be something in the air around here. I put copper gutters on my house the begining of spring and they are already a nice blueish black hue //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.