HELP! My amp did something unexpected? Need advice.

Participant count
  • Participant list

jeffdabest

Hi all, this is my first post here. I am running two Sundown X-10s in a custom box, wired to 1 Ohm to a 1500.1zx kicker amp. I know that this amp is not 1 ohm stable but has been running perfectly for about a half a year now( and I drive a lot, maybe this was my mistake). Anyways My negative ground wire burned the top and corroded the terminal on my amp. I had to yank out the wire to even get it out!! no access to the allen! The amp is still functional before i took it out but the negative was somewhat loose.. How do I go about getting access to the allen to make it usable again?? And clean off the coroded wires?

Since The photo up-loader isn't cooperating I put pictures in an album here:

Amp by jeffdossey | Photobucket

Note: I do not think it is my ground to my car just because it is soldered on the terminal with 0AWG (about 2 foot long) to the same place my battery is grounded. (Chevrolet Cobalt battery is in the back).

Wow. That amp is fuckedup.

I'm trying to figure out how something like that could happen. You say you used 1/0 wire? Power and ground?

Could have been a short....Ground wire in amp was lose....

AS you said, if the p is not 1 ohm stable, that could have been it. Wasn't taking any more abuse and that's the end result.

Yeah. It does work though!! I wiggled it around and it came right on before I took the wire out. I am hoping that someone could give me some insight on fixing it i'm sure I could clip the black plastic around it... But isnt that there for a reason? And I have no clue how I would get the burnt wire off.

Edit: also my power is about 2 foot too all 0AWG.

Maybe.. I assumed that if my battery was grounded to the chassis there it must be one of the best places to ground it.. But main concern is what I should do about the amp ;( haha

I myself wouldn't keep using that amp...seeing the condition it's in, meted spots on it, cracked/broken plastic trim pieces around the ground/power terminals of it. It almost tells me either you don't take care of stuff very well or was handed it to ya in that condition by a 2nd party.

You can pick out the excess crap out of the ground side. W/o amp hooked up of course.

Yeah it was handed to me with subs I got awhile back. These are expensive amps though. Old school Kicker amps are pretty valuable... These are also known to be pretty good powerhouses too. Putting out about 1850 watts rms at 2 ohms with this one 2100 at 1 ohm. Do you think itd be okay if I clipped it?

I also wouldnt be able to pick it out very well. Its pretty crusted into it.

Yeah it was handed to me with subs I got awhile back. These are expensive amps though. Old school Kicker amps are pretty valuable... These are also known to be pretty good powerhouses too. Putting out about 1850 watts rms at 2 ohms with this one 2100 at 1 ohm. Do you think itd be okay if I clipped it?
I also wouldnt be able to pick it out very well. Its pretty crusted into it.
No clipping is just as bad as what's already done to your amp. You wanna ruin it some more go ahead.

That amp isn't valuable no more, the condition it's in. I see Kicker all the time on CL here and on forums.

Well I told ya what to do about getting the stuff out of the G side of the terminal. It's up to you if you wanna take my advice or not. You come up with a better idea then more pwoer to you.

Any pics of those X series subs?

Sure let me upload some. I did sell a 1000.1zx for 300 on craigslist //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif what I used before.

Here you go they juicy:

Sundown by jeffdossey | Photobucket

Sadly I'll probably be getting rid of them for SA's or so I'm getting a 350z and no way in hell am I gonna get that airspace. Wanted to use the amp properly for the next car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Another note: valuable to me anyways I'm a college student its taking every single penny getting closer to getting my Z //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Looks like cable didnt get clamped down good and loose conection causes heat as well as running to low of ohm load , that amp dont like one ohm. I had some of them must protect as soon as you power them up atleast the ones I had. One lasted probably around 4 months and smoked lol. I think if you look around there are better amps for doing what you want it to do.

Maybe use a dremmel tool and grind away the broken melted crap and see if theres enough to clamp down ground ? dont hurt to try as its pretty much worthless now right ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.