Help! My 12.1perfects hit wrong! why??

31337hxr
10+ year member

okay guys, my friend just told me one of my subs is f-ed up. I ordered these two infinity perfects 12.1 from onlinecarstereo and put it in a 3/4" mdf box from millionbuy.com

I ALSO THINK ONLINECARSTEREO SCREWED ME OVER!

anyways...when the subs hit, one of the sub calms down after it hits a beat of a song while the other sub (defective one i think) still isn't done and produces an (After-vibrate).......its not that hard to tell cuz we opened my hatchback and we turned the song up to about 25-30 out of 40 max. volume and you can see that when the subs are done hitting a beat, one of them doesn't quickly calm down ....i dunno how to explain it. but inside the car and outside, both the subs sound fine......like u can't really tell unless u pop the hatchback and look yourself.

i called onlinecarstereo and they said it'll take about 30 days for repair.! 30 days??!!?!??!

i also tried taking the amplifier (sony xm-1502 760watt) and try using it to power 1. the good one works fine. the defective one, when i turned it up..it didn't sound that clean.......

WHY I THINK ONLINECARSTEREO SCREWED ME OVER:

there's also a different type of "0-ring" around the 'defective' sub...which came like that! Can anyone explain why it has a different O-ring than the other? It's got a brown thing around it and there's red text on it and the red text says: "REMOVE LINER" all over the place. Both were ordered from onlinecarstereo.com and were brand new and i bought them back in january '02. I didn't notice them till early March which was when I got them installed cuz i didn't have enough money for the head unit and amp. Cuz i never really inspected the sub thorougly, never really removed the plastic bag it was covered in. Both of them came in the regular boxes with serial numbers printed on them.

thanks!

----------------------------

HERE'S MY CAR:

car.jpg%20

HERE'S MY INFINITY 12.1 SUBS (SOMEONE TELL ME WHY THE O-RING AROUND THE SUBS ARE DIFFERENT THAN THE OTHER ONE? DID **** ONLINECARSTEREO SEND ME A REBURBISHED SUB?)

subback.jpg%20

THE ONE THAT HAS THE BROWN-ISH O-RING AROUND IT IS THE ONE THAT'S HITTING WRONG. THERE'S RED TEXT ON IT WHICH SAYS "REMOVE LINER" ALL AROUND IT. ANYONE KNOW WHY THIS SUB HAS THIS O-RING? IS THIS A FAKE INFINITY SUB?

badsub.jpg%20

goodsub.jpg%20

bothsub.jpg%20

boxes.jpg%20

THANKS GUYS! PLEASE HELP ME THROUGH THIS SITUATION!

Are both of the subs either single voice coil or double voice coil?

You could have gotten one single and one double and could POSSIBLY be the reason one has the red ring on it

Your problem with the sub "after-vibrating" could be caused by a few different things

It could be your amp, when you hooked only the single alleged defective sub up to the amp, did it still have the same after-vibrate or did it just not sound too good?

is your sub box dual chambered? or is it one large chamber for both the subs?

check some of these possibilities and reply back and we'll see what we can do

JELLYDIME

The sub that has the O-ring w/ the red lettering is an older model, I think. To tell you the truth, I've only seen the perfects with the cork O-ring. It is possible that the specs on the subs are slightly different due to different year models. Infinity wouldn't change much of the design, but the impedences may not be equal (most subs even though claimed to be 4 ohm are actually 3.8 for example). This would create different power handlings, thus causing different cone movement. A shared airspace box as jellydime said would cause different cone movement as well b/c of what I had just stated above. The subs are hitting at different levels, so one may be pushing and pulling the other. This is strange b/c I haven't heard of this happening with the perfects... not to the degree that you are claiming. Who knows... it could just be a factory defect. I'm really interested in what it is. Hopefully we can figure it out.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

To put your mind at ease the brown paper with red writing comes off. It's there to protect the surface during mounting. I would have been more worried about the one that didn't have it.

BOth subs are single voice coil I believe and the box is DUAL chambered. The box is also sealed. the cubic ft. of the box per chamber is 1ft. cubed .....

Wait a minute, STALLION AUDIO, you mean you have SEEN the infinity with this cork looking o-ring on it? Where?

You see its funny, because the other good sub has the RUBBER o-ring and seems more like the real thing.

like the defective sub appears that it takes longer to recover after it hits the beat...like it's still vibrating more than the other one after it hits a hard beat.

but someone told me that I'm using 2 channels for the sub and this could be the reason why because the subs could sound different because the L and R channel of the music can be different.

is this or could this also be true?

The cork-looking o-ring of the infinity says "REMOVE LINER" all over it.. but there seems to no way you can remove it. Its like plastered on there ....and i think the 0-ring of this is made out of a different material than the other one which is a rubber one.

Okay Guys I just sent an email last night to infinity and asked why i had the different brown O-ring. here's what they told me:

"We made a recent change to these sub. The reason is that great looking plexi-gasket was not as relaible as we had hope and in some cases it was coming loose. "

------

Okay so wait a minute, am I suppose to remove the brown plaster thingy? is it like thin film of strip.

GUYS I FOUND OUT WHY!!?!?!?

I switched the Speaker wires and this time I took the R wire and put it in the L sub and the L wire into the R sub.

Now the non-defective sub plays extra beats!!!!!!!!

So what does this mean? Is it the amplifier? or is it the song?

I knew they had to be different year models! If your wondering whether it is the song... well you could figure that out just by changin the song:rolleyes: ... haha. Just bustin ya. Yeah to me it sounds like one of the channels on the amp could be defective. It is possible that the output on the h/u could be messed up as well. If you have a crossover set up between the deck and the amp... check that. Try hookin up a different amp and see what happens. Try a few different things. At least ya know it isnt the subs... hopefully:D . Keep us posted on the turnout. Peace guy:cool: .

OK listen up!, I bought a couple of these subs a while ago, and they both had that stupid paper coating over the surround, you simply peel that crap off(your not confused yet are you?) than after you are done peeling that crap off, dont forget to peel off the sticker on the back of the subwoofer because it will block the the vent on the back of the speaker and cause a delay in response, simply because the speaker can't "breath" because of the munufacturing sticker over the rear vent hole, please make shure that stupid thing has been removed, after that you only havto worry about the wiring. short simple,sweet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.