Help me please! Car dies w/ new radio

comptonsmw

So I told a friend of mine that I could help her install an aftermarket head unit thinking I had the capabilities to figure it out, I was wrong! I got it all hooked up how the wiring harness adapter showed, we plugged it in, turned the key to on and it worked! Then when she started the car up it died, we tried 3 or 4 times and it started then died each time. I thought it was something with the battery so I cleaned the positive and negative terminals and still no luck. So then we tried jumping her car with mine and even that didn't work. Just for the heck of it I disconnected the new radio and then we tried again and everything was fine, it started and stayed on. So I'm guessing the problem is in the wiring of the new head unit somewhere I just don't know where to look. I redid all the connections between the adapter and the harness going to the head unit so I doubt that its a loose connection. I did hook up the ground to just the same factory ground and nothing else, would that cause this?

She drives a 2005 Dodge Neon and the head unit is a JVC KD X200. She got it from SonicElectronix with the dash install kit and wiring harness adapter that the site said she needed.

A quick recap-Her car starts then dies with new head unit connected. With no head unit or with the stock one it works fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Weird, this shouldn't even happen if you accidentally run the remote wire with the constant power wire. I am curious as to the input from others, or if you figure this out before hand. I hope your ground isn't running or touching any of the power wires accidentally.

I'm pretty sure that I ran the remote wire to correct spot, I definitely didn't run it to the constant power wire. For the ground and power wires, I had all my connections taped up so that should be good enough to protect them right?

I'm pretty sure that I ran the remote wire to correct spot, I definitely didn't run it to the constant power wire. For the ground and power wires, I had all my connections taped up so that should be good enough to protect them right?
Taped up? I hope you're joking, these should be crimped at the minimum. Personally, I'd run my ground to a bolt somewhere behind the dash/radio. There should be plenty of bolts back there.

Pics of the wire install would be extremely beneficial.

Yeeeahh thats where my minimal experience comes in to play. I soldered them first, not very good at that and it was taking forever so I just tried tape. But yes currently all the wires are crimped. I will try running it to a bolt and hopefully its as simple as that. As for pictures, shes at work until tonight so I cant get any for now

Dodge has a couple of wiring harnesses it uses in their vehicles that can fit into other cars ( amplified and non amplified ). Both being pinned different. It is possible they sent you the wrong harness. If I'm not mistaken dodge has 4 or 5 harnesses of that year that look exactly the same but again pinned different. If you are sure the wiring is connected right, I would take the harness you have to your local car audio shop and see if they can compare it to one they know is right for your car?

If the harness has two wires for constant and two for ground that arent already jumped for you make sure you have both sets of wires connected to the aftermarket harness. I have never seen more than one harness that plugs into dodge for those year model cars.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.