Help me pick a 3-way component set

clickclickw00t
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm looking for a 3-way component set for my 2012 Scion TC.

1 inch tweeters

3 inch mid

6x9 (or 6.5 with adapter) for the lows.

I'm also trying to find a good amp that matches these. I'd like to have a 6x9 in the doors because it definitely fills the 63-200hz range. My 12 inch is crossed over at 63hz- AQ HDC312 and AQ 2200D.)

I've heard good things about the hertz energy 3-ways but I dont wanna drop $700+ on a component system, probably about $200-300 and I wouldn't mind a nice used set. Probably $400 overall with an amp.

1 inch tweeters

3 inch mid

I'm also trying to find a good amp that matches these. I'd like to have a 6x9 in the doors because it definitely fills the 63-200hz range. My 12 inch is crossed over at 63hz- AQ HDC312 and AQ 2200D.)

I've heard good things about the hertz energy 3-ways but I dont wanna drop $700+ on a component system, probably about $200-300 and I wouldn't mind a nice used set. Probably $400 overall with an amp.
May be best to look into making your own setup,by choosing a 6.5 component setup,and adding a 3in mid, and finding a 3 way cross over to bring it together with the $300 maxed budget, and look at a good used amp for $100 bucks maybe less that will get you some good clean power.

May be best to look into making your own setup,by choosing a 6.5 component setup,and adding a 3in mid, and finding a 3 way cross over to bring it together with the $300 maxed budget, and look at a good used amp for $100 bucks maybe less that will get you some good clean power.
would this affect the sound signature and timbre if they are mismatched?

somewhat. depends on the frequency ranges they play. if you can get the mids to handle 200Hz-4kHz then matching the midbass or tweeters isn't as critical. mid location and aiming is crucial. no need for a 6x9, my 6.5's play down to 50Hz with ease and they were $30 each on Madisound. You could piece together a 3-way buying raw drivers from Parts Express and/or Madisound. Seas, Tympanny/Peerless, Dayton Reference, Scanspeak, Morel, Vifa, etc. are all options in your price range. Running active makes this process easier so you're not designing a custom crossover.

I paid $150 for my (current)front 3-way using Silver Flute 6.5" midbass, Dayton Reference RS100 mids, and Vifa ring radiator tweets. But I have over a hundred hours in the install and a few years of driver testing and tweaking. At this point, my speakers are the weakest link in the system, but I believe speaker make/model to be the least important part. A $500+ component set still only has

timbre-matched matters more in home audio where there is a lot of overlap in the vocal range.

Thats when you need to take your time and do some research ,and look at the hertz/ohm load, and choose what best you desire/need..same as being/going active,build your component setup

1 inch tweeters

3 inch mid

Some good comps.

MSW | Car Audio Stereo, Car Subwoofers, Car Amplifiers and Speakers

Reference 6.3 - 3-way component

Boston Acoustics GT-2125 (gt2125) GT Reference 2-Channel Amplifier

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.