Help me discover which is bad.. Amp/components/both

Captain_Ahab
5,000+ posts

BUCK FAMA
Da Dirty Souf
Alright, heres the story.

I get back from vacation in May and out of nowhere one side of my components isn't working right. If i turned the volume up loud, the amp power light would go off and so the music would quit. Well i figured it was my amp going bad..So i just listened to my left side play since it played normal. Whats weird is my vehicle had been sitting in the same place for 2 weeks and this happened.

Anyways..Fastforward to Thursday afternoon. I have my key turned back listening to music while we are camping. I got to crank my Blazer up about an hour later and smell something, which is never good. Once it cranks back up the side of components that played normal was playing at a GREATLY reduced volume. WTF?

I just got done playing around with my amp..I had the components bridged..I thought a channel may have gone bad so I put the wires in different channels..Same thing..

If i set the settings up exactly like I had them for the 10 months I have had this amp, both sides barely play and its like the mids don't even work. On my right side if I turn the volume up the mids will sort of pop. And the amp will cut out and come back on.

ANY help will be appreciated. I don't know whether to buy another amp or what...

This is already the second freakin one I have had on these Rainbow SLCs in just 2 1/2 years.

Are you're crossovers easily accessible?

Easy way to find out of the components are bad is to take the speaker wires and either test the impedance with a DMM, or to "pop" them with a 9v battery and see if they respond...

nG

Are you're crossovers easily accessible?
Easy way to find out of the components are bad is to take the speaker wires and either test the impedance with a DMM, or to "pop" them with a 9v battery and see if they respond...

nG
They are inside my door. I have never taken my door panel off though. I am kind of a pay someone who knows what they are doing to do it type person.

I'll try to get it off and do that though.

update your sig then.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif
I can't.

It is already oversized from the mods and if i try and update it it tells me its oversized and i can't. lol

They are inside my door. I have never taken my door panel off though. I am kind of a pay someone who knows what they are doing to do it type person.
I'll try to get it off and do that though.
For enough money ...I'd tear into the doors for ya ....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif

Just go to the amp, disconnect the speakers and test w/a 9v battery, better yet use a DMM and see what the impedance is. A 9v battery can still make a bad speaker pop. What model is the Clarion amp? I used to own a few of their older amps, APA4160, APA4200 so that could help me w/the amp side of things.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.