Help me choose a sub.PLEASE

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mundan

Haven't been around mobile electronics since 2002 recently have taken back up my interest in car audio after having a opportunity to buy some awesome products at an unbelievable price at a storage auction.What I purchased was everything needed for a full system except a Head Unit which I purchased separate (Clarion NX702) and a sub-woofer.I pretty much spent all my money on my Clarion along with my alternator upgrade and Kinetic HC2400's so I have to save up for some serious subs but for the mean time I have about $150-$200 to spend on 1 or 2 subs.These said sub/s will be powered bye an Xtant 121m with an Xtant x1001 being installed later for new beefier subs and will be installed in a sealed downward firing box.This is where I need help with their being so many new brands out now I have no clue what to choose I was looking at purchasing 2 RE SRX 12's.After I repair and install the bigger Xtant and get my new subs this amp and sub/s will be going in my nephews ride so I want some subs that are pretty durable and reliable.Any help is greatly appreciated

Are you completely set on a down firing sealed box? both of those things sound like things you do when you're low on space...

You sound like you want decent SQ on a budget. I'd check out a Dayton HO, or an SSA DCON.

No I am open to options on the box I just had a down firing box in my last install and it sounded awesome.This is going in a Suburban which is what my last system was in and the box sounded really good.

No I am open to options on the box I just had a down firing box in my last install and it sounded awesome.This is going in a Suburban which is what my last system was in and the box sounded really good.
Well, if you're more of an SQ guy and are interested more in sound than output, I'd say stick with your sealed enclosure. I'd personally recommend a switch to a ported enclosure, especially with a car as large as a suburban, it's asking a lot of a single sub in a sealed box to put out any significant bass in a cabin that big, imo. I have a 10" in a ported enclosure in the back of my explorer now, and it sounds great and get's fairly loud for what it is.

If you do choose to go with a ported box, I'd suggest getting that SSA DCON subwoofer, I've heard MANY good things and seen a few installs where these subs far outperformed expectations.

Also, don't operate under the impressions that sealed boxes always sound better than a ported enclosure. A properly designed and built ported enclosure offers close to if not equally good SQ and a significant increase in output.

Also, don't operate under the impressions that sealed boxes always sound better than a ported enclosure. A properly designed and built ported enclosure offers close to if not equally good SQ and a significant increase in output.
^^^ this

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.