Help me! Alpine S 12" Sub Enclosure

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kurt_

Canada
Hello all. I have a single Alpine S-type 12" Subwoofer that needs a better enclosure. I made an enclosure a year ago that I thought was following what alpine recommended, but after remeasuring today, it is too small. After reading around, I figured you guys could help me make a better enclosure than the alpine-recommended one.

Speaker Specs:

Equivalent Stiffness (Vas) = 44L = 1.554 ft^3

Free Air Resonance (Fs) = 34 Hz

Total Q (Qts) = 0.57

Cone Area (Sd) = 479 cm^2

I'm unable to post a link. The manual is titled "OM_SWS-101215_D4_2.pdf"

This isn't for a car, so size isn't a huge concern, but a reasonably sized enclosure would be nice (

I don't know a whole lot about acoustics, which is why I've come to you guys. What should I do? I'm hoping to go ported. I reallllly want to get down to the full 26Hz that my sub is capable of, or as close as reasonable.

Where is it going?

How much power is gonna be sent to it?

What kind of music do you mainly listen to?

If you have room for it, a transmission line is the absolute best box you can build. But lets see where its going and maybe we can get one designed.

The system is for home audio. And for loud parties. And, potentially, for a future car application.

The subwoofer is running off of a JBL GTQ 400 amplifier, along with two speakers (which will soon be 6x9 Alpine Type R's). So, I suppose it's getting 150 - 200 watts at max power output. Which is currently more than enough for my current non-car application. If I need to, I'm very willing to buy another amp.

As far as the type of music I listen to, it varies. I'm annoyed sometimes when I'm listening to a song with a great bass line, only to have half of it dropped because it's too low. I don't know if I can get the bass you can feel from a single 12" subwoofer, but if possible, I'd like that.

Is a transmission line really the best? I would think it would lack power due to the absorption of the rear wave. But what do I know?

After some research, it appears my Qes and Qts are outside the range to make a good transmission line system.

Does anyone hae a frequency response curve for my sub? SWS-12D2

Here is a butterworth ported box I designed using ishtek's applet. Do these numbers seem okay? For the volume, I used what it gave me, then subtracted the speaker and port volume. For the external dimensions, I added 1.5" for 3/4" MDF to each dimension.

29li982.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.