Help! Infinity 1600a amp powers up but no sound!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sk8almost44
10+ year member

Hello, here is my problem

All wires are configed correctly, all wires have solid contact, all fuses are good, the amp turns on but no sound is being produced. I have not opened the amp itself.

I tested it out with door speakers (had a working amp hooked up to them and they worked), and 2 different subwoofers (same thing as door speakers).

Please watch the video below.

An amplifier must have an input signal to give you anything on the outputs. Test the amplifier with something else plugged into the RCA input jacks. You can use a 3.5 mm stereo to male RCA cable to go from an mp3 player directly into the amplifier.

Have you tested the subs? Are the ohms the same? I had an amp that was ohm sensitive and would not play if ohms was wrong. I would test with the other speakers again to make sure it didn't short out.

An amplifier must have an input signal to give you anything on the outputs. Test the amplifier with something else plugged into the RCA input jacks. You can use a 3.5 mm stereo to male RCA cable to go from an mp3 player directly into the amplifier.
I had an amp installed/hooked up before I switched to this amp, and was providing sound. All connections are good because when I removed the amp and put the previous amp back in I had sound again..

Have you tested the subs? Are the ohms the same? I had an amp that was ohm sensitive and would not play if ohms was wrong. I would test with the other speakers again to make sure it didn't short out.
Yes I have tested the subs, I had an amp very similar installed previously to this amp, and I was getting sound output. I have also tried another subwoofer and still a no-go. :/

I had an amp installed/hooked up before I switched to this amp, and was providing sound. All connections are good because when I removed the amp and put the previous amp back in I had sound again..
What I would do is test the amplifier on my bench or in a different vehicle. Then you will know if the problem is with your vehicle and the installation or the amplifier. I'm inclined to think the amplifier is the problem, but you're not done troubleshooting to say that for sure.

Hello, here is my problem
All wires are configured correctly, all wires have solid contact, all fuses are good, the amp turns on but no sound is being produced. I have not opened the amp itself.

I tested it out with door speakers (had a working amp hooked up to them and they worked), and 2 different subwoofers (same thing as door speakers).
Apparently that is common problem with that particular amplifier, there are lot's of other people with same problem, it is going into protection mode for one or more reasons but the protection mode may be faulty and shutting the amp down needlessly..

--amp gain setting too high

--bad ground

--low impedance

--blown speaker

Okay thank you everyone, I finally hooked it back up... come to find out it DOES work, but you just have to turn the gain and bass boost waaay up to hear anything..

This doesn't seem normal..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.