Help from experts with wiring subs

wolfey
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Can you mix subwoofers of different impendance in parallel? Well i know you can but what are the affects? Has anyone ever done this? is it that just one plays a bit louder than the other because it "sees" a different amount of power or some crap like that? Well personally that doesnt seem like a bad thing as long as the **** still hits. . and sounds good. You wouldnt notice a sub being not as loud as the other two. as long as its not bad for the amp i dont care, but i cant run another svc as it would decrease my ohm load too much i think. Unless anyone has run an 81000d at 1.3 ohms and not had any problems i dont know if i want to try. any suggestions or experience would be great. I'd love to have a car shop where i could just test **** all day!

I did it today with some rockford subs in a seals box and IT HIT VERY HARD!!! I now plan on telling people about this set up but I can't say how all subs will sound this is just one case.

Hey what was your setup? LIke how many subs and at what ohms were they each at? Also what is your amp rated at? Is the sound quality basically the same? Thats cool though it worked..

I work for a car audio store and we where selling 2 rockford subs RFZ2810 and a box with a rockford 150s amp installed for $300. this kid came in and wanted that set up but we just had one 8ohm in the store so he took a 4ohm which we told hem not to do but he was around 17 years old //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif and did not want to wate for another 8ohm sub to come in. so after tring to talk him out of it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif and telling him he should use 2 8ohm subs he grabed one 4 and one 8 and took off the next day he got it installed and to my suprise it hit like a dump truck, the amp was getting hot so I think a bigger amp would do better but I loved it:eek: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

well that sounds pretty tight then.. Did you pop the trunk or listen to the subs from upclose and did they seem to be playing at different levels between the two. .. Not that its a big deal i'm just wondering if its enough to even notice and that the whole "Don't wire subs of different impendance" thing you see in sub and amp manuals is just a fallacy

Originally posted by wolfey Can you mix subwoofers of different impendance in parallel? Well i know you can but what are the affects? Has anyone ever done this? is it that just one plays a bit louder than the other because it "sees" a different amount of power or some crap like that? Well personally that doesnt seem like a bad thing as long as the **** still hits. . and sounds good. You wouldnt notice a sub being not as loud as the other two. as long as its not bad for the amp i dont care, but i cant run another svc as it would decrease my ohm load too much i think. Unless anyone has run an 81000d at 1.3 ohms and not had any problems i dont know if i want to try. any suggestions or experience would be great. I'd love to have a car shop where i could just test **** all day!
yea you'll be fine as long as you don't go below the ohm rating on the amp----you knew that. yea your right one speaker will just get more power than the other. the formula is R1 X R2/ R1 + R2

hey chris is here a way i could use a switch to turn on and off one of my subwoofers? I was thinking if i i clipped one side (pos or neg) of the wire running from my amp to my sub then put a switch between it that would work. i couldnt clip both cus that would mix the wires.. ? so i figure no speaker is gunna play with just pos or just neg connected so that should work right? would that send a signal to the speaker that would change things. i also want to wire a fan, i'd have to use a relay and another switch if i want to control it.

Originally posted by wolfey hey chris is here a way i could use a switch to turn on and off one of my subwoofers? I was thinking if i i clipped one side (pos or neg) of the wire running from my amp to my sub then put a switch between it that would work. i couldnt clip both cus that would mix the wires.. ? so i figure no speaker is gunna play with just pos or just neg connected so that should work right? would that send a signal to the speaker that would change things. i also want to wire a fan, i'd have to use a relay and another switch if i want to control it.
yea you can do that-------though you may hear a slight pop or click in the speakers due to the DC offset--------yea your right you only need to disconnect one wire------though I don't recommend you activate the switched sub at high power-----as for the fan your right again --switch or relay--------though get a new power source DON'T use the remote wire for power-----just use it as a signal for the relay if you need to

yeah i read a thing that said that.. theres a cool webpage that had graphics and everything explaining how to do it with diagrams of what is happening. you've probably seen it before. i think i'm going to wire it like they show it... although its a bit confusing cus he has several different methods of wiring it... and i'm not sure the difference between each.. like one of them turns it on all the time and another turns it on when the hu is on.. etc. i think i just want it simple so that i can have a switch to turn it on whenever... although it would probably be smart to make it so i can only turn it on when the car or hu is on so i dont leave it on by mistake.. i dont know..

Originally posted by wolfey yeah i read a thing that said that.. theres a cool webpage that had graphics and everything explaining how to do it with diagrams of what is happening. you've probably seen it before. i think i'm going to wire it like they show it... although its a bit confusing cus he has several different methods of wiring it... and i'm not sure the difference between each.. like one of them turns it on all the time and another turns it on when the hu is on.. etc. i think i just want it simple so that i can have a switch to turn it on whenever... although it would probably be smart to make it so i can only turn it on when the car or hu is on so i dont leave it on by mistake.. i dont know..
you mean the fan right??-------- yea just run a signal from your HU remote wire to a switch---than to the relay----this way it will turn off when the HU is off PLUS you have the option to turn it of when the HU on----though a new power source should be found for the fan

yeah the guy on the website showed that, only he also had some diode or something in between some crap.. i dont remember exactly but do you know what i'm talking about... let me find the website and i'll show you. This is the main website: http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/coolfans.htm

This one has the specifics for wiring with a switch with a relay :

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/swrelay.htm

The thing is that, on this page:

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/switches.htm

he has the same thing basically but with an amp and a second fan wired the way you said, so i dont see why he did it with the diode in that other example.

oh well, i like the config with the second amp and fan best, i think i'll do that only i wont have a switch to turn off my amp since i can basically turn it off from the deck or from my ebc

Originally posted by wolfey yeah the guy on the website showed that, only he also had some diode or something in between some crap.. i dont remember exactly but do you know what i'm talking about... let me find the website and i'll show you. This is the main website: http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/coolfans.htm

This one has the specifics for wiring with a switch with a relay :

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/swrelay.htm

The thing is that, on this page:

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/switches.htm

he has the same thing basically but with an amp and a second fan wired the way you said, so i dont see why he did it with the diode in that other example.

oh well, i like the config with the second amp and fan best, i think i'll do that only i wont have a switch to turn off my amp since i can basically turn it off from the deck or from my ebc
it has been said that when the HU's signal is turned off tto the coil----- it will resist the collapsing field and pull curennt------the diode is wired to that it will drain the reverse voltage in the coil

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.