Help! dual voice coil sub, amp and sub have different wiring styles for 1 ohm

Participant count
  • Participant list
Looks to me like the amp shares positive and negative terminals for a mono output. Thats the way my massive is. Id connect it the way the amp recommends, it'll still be a 2ohm load.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to me like the amp shares positive and negative terminals for a mono output. Thats the way my massive is. Id connect it the way the amp recommends, it'll still be a 1ohm load.
He has a DVC4 ohm sub sir.Wired correctly and he should be at a 2 ohm load..If he had a DVC 2 ohm sub he could wire to a 1 ohm load,or a pair of DVC 4 ohm subs..But he states one sub DVC 4 ohm and the amplifier

so the wiring diagram in my amps owners manual should be ignored? that diagram is the opposite of what the amp recommends.
The first diagram shows a DVC 4 ohm sub woofer wiring but doesnt look to me to be correct. I would wire as the 12v diagram as I gave you and connect as the second diagram shows.Though, I would prob call Kenwood Tech support and ask before doing so.It looks to me as though there is a wiring diagram issue from Kenwood.All negative post should go to negative and all Positive post should go to positive.Pretty confusing I know from wiring correctly as 12v shows as in line.

Ive always wired up as 12v has shown and hooked up to a single mono amplifier as your second diagram shows for two ohm stable but you will be at a two ohm load just as well with a DVC 4 ohm sub woofer.Some amplifiers have two connections on a single pole that makes it easier to connect wiring due to excessive wiring and room to place wiring on a single pole of which they have made two poles into a single on the internals

Ive always wired up as 12v has shown and hooked up to a single mono amplifier as your second diagram shows for two ohm stable but you will be at a two ohm load just as well with a DVC 4 ohm sub woofer.Some amplifiers have two connections on a single pole that makes it easier to connect wiring due to excessive wiring and room to place wiring on a single pole of which they have made two poles into a single on the internals
So I called kenwood. They said the diagram with the jumper going from positive to negative will run it at 1ohm. The sub needs to be run at 2 ohms. So positive to positive and negative to negative. Thanks for your help! Would have fried my sub if I ran it like the manual suggested

So I called kenwood. They said the diagram with the jumper going from positive to negative will run it at 1ohm. The sub needs to be run at 2 ohms. So positive to positive and negative to negative. Thanks for your help! Would have fried my sub if I ran it like the manual suggested
8D3oGj6.jpg

Now I'm confused... those diagrams were easy... all this additional stuff is hurting my old addled brain... lol

PKeBK4a.jpg

zENlHI0.jpg

And if you got a 1 channel amp (mono) and 4 speaker terminals... Both + and both - connections are for the single channel

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.