Help designing a flared round port box for an Alpine SWS 10 D4

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jcsaudio

Senior VIP Member
I have an Alpine SWS 10" D4 subwoofer in a custom built slot ported box of 1.245 cubes gross with .75" thick MDF all around. After slot port and sub displacement, I calculated the box volume to be about 1 cu ft. with a 35 hz tune. The box is 18.5" wide, 12.5" high, and 13" deep. The 13" depth and 18.5" width can’t really change so it fits and clears the folding seats. The height can change since it’s in the back of the third row of my Sienna. I do like the current box and it does sound really good, but I always have this bug to improve things and I want to try this subwoofer in a similar box with a Precision port from Parts Express. https://www.parts-express.com/precision-port-3-flared-speaker-cabinet-port-tube-kit--268-350 with the same 35 hz tune. The current box has a slot port of 1" wide by 11" high and it’s about 21.75" long with the subwoofer on the same side as the port on the 12.5" side. I'd like to keep the subwoofer facing the tailgate but the Precision port would have to go on the end, assuming it is cut to 13.5" long, not including the flares. TS perimeters can be found here http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-10+12_23D_43D.pdf

Number of subs: 1

Subwoofer type: 10" Alpine SWS D4

Power to be used: JBL GTX 500 500 watts RMS @ 2 ohms

Goals: SQ > loudness, more towards accurate, tight bass, and good transient response. I'm looking to gain some efficiency and SQ over the slot port box with a Precision port box.

Listening habits: Decent volume, but very rarely more than 2/3 volume. It’s for my wife's minivan

Music: Pop, Rap, Rock, Alternative, R&B, Soul, she loves it all.

Thanks in advance.

If you want accurate tight bass you'd be looking to do around .8 - 1cf tuned low which would mean a very long port. With .8 at 30hz, port velocity is very high peaking at almost 40m/s which is 5m/s more than the maximum ideal velocity but it should be fine with the listening levels you stay at. Cone excursion hits xmax around 22-23hz. Response is about +/- 1db from 22-80hz.

If you want accurate tight bass you'd be looking to do around .8 - 1cf tuned low which would mean a very long port. With .8 at 30hz, port velocity is very high peaking at almost 40m/s which is 5m/s more than the maximum ideal velocity but it should be fine with the listening levels you stay at. Cone excursion hits xmax around 22-23hz. Response is about +/- 1db from 22-80hz.
Somehow I didn’t get notification for this subscribed thread, so sorry for the late response. The correct specifications are here https://alpine-usa.com/product/view/sws-10d4 I love the way it sounds now with the 35 Hz tune so I don’t really want to go lower but just maybe make it more efficient with the aero port. Also the fs is 35 Hz so tuning below that might not be good?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.