Help choosing an AMP

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rysandro
10+ year member

I just purchased a 2012 4Runner and stock speaker system really is anemic... Worst

System I've had for a new car. So bad in fact that for the first time ever for me im going to upgrade the audio system.

So my 4Runner consists of

2x 3.5" Coaxials for Dash

2x 6x9 Coaxials for Front Doors

2x 6.5" Coaxials for Rear Doors

2x 6.5" Coaxials for Tailgate Door

I already purchased one pair of Hertz HCX 165's that will be delivered tomorrow.

And I thought I had planned out everything. My plan is:

Dash = 2x 3.5" Hertz ECX 87 (30 Watts RMS Each)

Front Doors = 2x 6x9 Hertz HCX 690 (130 Watts RMS Each)

Rear Doors = 2x 6.5" Hertz HCX 165 (100 RMS Each)

Tailgate = 2x 6.5" Hertz HCX 165 (100 RMS Each)

How would you guys recommend I power them all up? I'd like to use a single amp that can be hidden underneath a seat perhaps.

Or is two amps a must?

Should I ditch one pair of the 6.5" Speakers to leave myself with only 6 speakers to worry about instead of 8, and than just go for a 6 channel AMP like a JL XD600/6, Zen Leviathan or other? Or can a 6 channel amp like the XD600 from JL or the Zen Leviathan power the above 8 speakers safely. Not sure if a Zen Leviathan would fit underneath a seat anyway..

Are they're any other AMPs I'm overlooking? Again I'm a complete noob to car audio and want to learn. Don't worry I'll have everything professionally installed but I'd like to buy all components myself and just tell the installer what I want done.

dump the dash speakers..i'd build plates and do components in the frt doors ,it will sound better too.really dont need the rear hatch speaker either ,you won't hear them from the frt any way .the zed amp will de fine but won''t fit under the seat .might wanna look into the mini amps if you wanna put the amps under the seats

Measured under my seat. I can easily fit an Alpine PDX-F4 down there. I can even stack them..

Should I stack two or put one under each seat if I decide to keep all 8 speakers?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.