HELP:Amp on, no sound

Participant count
  • Participant list

XxAkroNyMxX
10+ year member

Akron, OH
Ok, I have doen all the wiring in my friends Cobalt, so I know its all done correctly for starters.

Now he had a faulty amp, which shorted out a couple weeks ago, so I decided to hook mine up for now until he handles the situation with the guy who sold him the amp. He has a pair of 12" RE SE's which I built the enclosure for, 4 cubes after displacement at 32hz. It was being powered by a Hifonics 1606 which shorted out, and I got my Memphis 1500 today, so we hooked it up for a temporary setup.

Well we got it all wired up and whatnot. The amp powered up no problems, subs kickin...it pounds pretty good. Had the amp set at about 1/2 gain, bass at -4, and sub gain on the H/U at 0. Just as it stats to get some good power goin to the subs, they cut out for about 30 seconds.

Well i tinkered with that for a while, and Noticed it was drawing a ton of power (duh, stock electrical). So I redo the ground, sand down the metal, and set the ground. Strt itback up, play some test tones...and this SOB pounds like never before...then cts out again.

So at this point im gtting pissed, so I went ove EVERYTHING I could think of, and finally make my way to the back of the headunit. After messing around with switching RCA's around and turning the car off and on, we got power again before it cut out and I gave up. Now I resort to you. Please help me...do youthink that when the old amp shorted out it may have messed up something with the signal? mIm completely out of options here...plus the amp powers up fine and never goes into protect.

Any opinions?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.