Help!! 2 ohm DVC or 4 ohm DVC C2 Audio Threatcon-2 12"?!?

Participant count
  • Participant list

zstill

I'm looking at purchasing a B-Stock Threatcon-2 12" and have a question. I have an Alipine PDX-F4 100x4 watt amplifier. I am running 100x2 watts to my front and am going to bridge the rear channels to 200 watts. The amp is 2/3/4 ohm stable in regular & bridged mode. Is it better for me to get the 2 ohm DVC and run a 4 ohm load to the amp or the 4 ohm DVC and run a 2 ohm load to the amp? It's only a $10 difference but I am curious as to what is most beneficial to my system. Thanks for your help!

It's wrong, if you read the whole description on the product page it says that it can handle it. Also there is a thread about this and an alpine rep confirmed it can handle it. If you search Alpine PDX-F4 2 ohm Stable in bridged mode you can find it. That being said, do I play it safe and keep it 4 ohm to the amp?

From the product page...

Beefed up Power

The PDX power supply delivers tremendous headroom with low distortion and noise. PDX amplifiers have an extremely high total system efficiency of ~80% (power supply is rated at >90%, output stage is rated >90%).

Low Impedance Stability

These amps are stable at low impedances and are capable of their rated power from 2 to 4 ohms for all models. This allows excellent flexibility with multiple speaker and subwoofer loads and is adjusted automatically.

Now where on that page dose it say or claim to be 2 ohm stable bridged.....

Will Alpine warranty the amp if someone kills it running 2 ohms bridged?

Lots of amps can be run below their rated load....dose not mean that they are meant to thou....

(I used to run my old PPI art 600a2 @ 2 ohms bridged...did it all day...got HOT but no issues but was not rated for it and would not have been repaired under warranty)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Then again.....as far as subs go....after box rise, in most cases, the load the amp sees is sometimes higher.

If Alpine will not warranty the amp being driven at 2 ohms bridged, then its not rated for it.

It all comes down to how hard you want to be on your gear....

Searching the above.....

Someone who claims to design these amps says that it is "stable" @ 2ohms but rolls the power back to what you would have @ 4ohm or a little less.....(to stop it from going into thermal...)

Now think about that for a second.......what is the point....really?

If it was truly "stable" it should make a nice bit more power and keep going....

Since this is the case.....just run it @ 4ohms and save the wear and tear on the components because there is ZERO benefit to running a sub @ 2 ohms on that amp.....and according to "Jim"....most likely less power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.