Heelo all, new to the thread, have questions for setting up a system for my mustang

Eleanor68
10+ year member

Again, hello all...I just found this site and am interested in your input...I'm reliving my past a bit, and have a 92 mustang Gt i want to put a nice system into...Back in my day, when i had the same car new, i was running ads pq20 amps, boston acoustic pro component speakers, and nakamichi 10" subs..kenwood detach face cd, cant remember spec....I did all my fab and installs so thats not a problem

So, i want to get the system purchased and going asap and wanting to have some feedback from you guys as to whats good, whats not and all that..

I still have my PQ20's and they work fine, so thats the start...

looking for

good sounding quality component speakers for the front and rear( Is there a comp. plate that fits the rear speaker location now)..brands???

Also want a good set of 10 inch subs that have all around good performance..I like my old subs since they had strong deep base and had a good punch when i switched the crossover points around...

head units?? I have a double din space now where my factory receiver and equalizer are, so i can go either way there...

Oh, not sure if it works, but the old nakamichi crossover is here too, with the 4 knobs on the face, for low volume and x-over settings, same for mids and highs..like to reuse, unless there is probably a better one available now that will give me control of the x-over ranges like this model I have..

thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing what you all think....

Jon

Again, hello all...I just found this site and am interested in your input...I'm reliving my past a bit, and have a 92 mustang Gt i want to put a nice system into...Back in my day, when i had the same car new, i was running ads pq20 amps, boston acoustic pro component speakers, and nakamichi 10" subs..kenwood detach face cd, cant remember spec....I did all my fab and installs so thats not a problem
So, i want to get the system purchased and going asap and wanting to have some feedback from you guys as to whats good, whats not and all that..

I still have my PQ20's and they work fine, so thats the start...

looking for

good sounding quality component speakers for the front and rear( Is there a comp. plate that fits the rear speaker location now)..brands???

Also want a good set of 10 inch subs that have all around good performance..I like my old subs since they had strong deep base and had a good punch when i switched the crossover points around...

head units?? I have a double din space now where my factory receiver and equalizer are, so i can go either way there...

Oh, not sure if it works, but the old nakamichi crossover is here too, with the 4 knobs on the face, for low volume and x-over settings, same for mids and highs..like to reuse, unless there is probably a better one available now that will give me control of the x-over ranges like this model I have..

thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing what you all think....

Jon
if i where you man id really relive my past and go all new from scratch. there is some killer deals on tvs for cheap and with the din space you have i suggest a nice in dash tv 7.5-9 inch screen that will hook up to your gps or allow you to get gps on it and not get hassled about it by police. then id tell you to go look at this guys thread for his sundown 3000d amp for your subs.iv made him a offer on both of them but its prob better for you. i will just resell them and make some **** good money. then you need to decide weather or not you really want to stick with tens. id upgrade to 12's or one 12 over the tens and go with a brand called criticalmass 12 inch subs. i say this because they use the same size magnet for there 12's as they do for there 15 and 18 inch subs. the prices on these and the amps will be high unless you can find a real bargain but this is the absolute top of the line and you will be vary happy with the result. just check out the critical mass web page and the sundown page. there the best you can buy

hey thanks for the reply..I'll look into it...i know theres a whole new world of stuff out there, but starting over after so long of not doing any of it really leaves me guessing without the help of guys like yourself that know whats what out there...

how about brans for the component sets for doors and rear???

hey thanks for the reply..I'll look into it...i know theres a whole new world of stuff out there, but starting over after so long of not doing any of it really leaves me guessing without the help of guys like yourself that know whats what out there...

how about brans for the component sets for doors and rear???
it is a great idea,you can try it

First off, I would seriously contemplate getting the electrolytic capacitors replaced in your old amplifiers. I know, most generally wait until they fail, but those capacitors tend to take other parts with them when they die and rebuilding a/d/s amplifiers can get quite expensive. Think of it as preventative maintenance.

Next, what is your budget for component speakers? For brands pre-packaged component brands, I'd suggest looking at Alpine SPX Pro, Hertz, Rainbow, Image Dynamics, Focal, and Morel. Of course, the install itself is key to making high dollar components sound good. My other recommendation would be to listen to as many component speakers as you can at the local audio dealers, assuming you have any. I know, some smartaѕѕ is going to say that they will sound different in the car, and yes they will. On the flip side, if they sound terrible to you on the soundboard, chances are they will sound terrible in your vehicle!

When it comes to subwoofers, the game has changed a lot since the 90s. Now, power is relatively cheap, and subwoofers can produce deep bass from small enclosures. In the late 80s to early 90s, I tend to remember the trend of amplifiers being super expensive and subwoofers requiring HUGE enclosures to produce a decent amount of sub bass. Of course, the trade off for modern day subwoofers versus old school subs is that the new subwoofers are grossly inefficient.

It would be better if you told us what amount of money you want to spend. You can always to this upgrade in phases.

You can spend anywhere from $500 to $5000 on a car audio upgrade. This will run you about $2500

The PQ20 will work fine with some Soundstream RF-60c Comp set. You can use one amp per set. how many amps do you have?

I would also suggest Soundstream Refferance series R1-12 subs.

I am not sure about your eq, but With the right double din deck, you wont really need that.. You will need an amp for the subs. Maybe the Soundstream TRX2000D

With all this powa, you will need to upgrade the electrical connections and add a second battery.

As far as budget, i dont mind spending a few hundred or so on good component speakers...I have 2 pq20 amps, a was hoping/figuring 1 for the component sets at 4x80..and the other bridged for the subs...

Note, im not into competition sound or anything like that, so im not interested in going way extreme to compete. I just want a really good sounding system that can be loud and clear with good bass characteristics. My music tastes are more to the side of rock, old rock, and newer alternative and pop..I dont get into rap and all the super heavy bass and all that...

I really dont have a buget in mind. I'm more the type as if it is what I need or want, and is reasonable for its performance, i'll get it...so, figure suggestions as best bang for the buck, type approach...again, not into competition audio...

keep it comming guys, its appreciated...

no this forst one is going in the 92 gt hatch, think i mentioned that uptop...now that you mention it, however, I will be doing a second system for just that, my 68 fastback, which is also nearing completion. Im ordering the drivetrain now, but the body, paint and trim is all done, "Eleanor" is getting closer and closer...!!!!!!!

It would be better if you told us what amount of money you want to spend. You can always to this upgrade in phases. You can spend anywhere from $500 to $5000 on a car audio upgrade. This will run you about $2500

The PQ20 will work fine with some Soundstream RF-60c Comp set. You can use one amp per set. how many amps do you have?

I would also suggest Soundstream Refferance series R1-12 subs.

I am not sure about your eq, but With the right double din deck, you wont really need that.. You will need an amp for the subs. Maybe the Soundstream TRX2000D

With all this powa, you will need to upgrade the electrical connections and add a second battery.
The electrical is being addressed...200 amp alternator, 4ga wire to the rear, etc...

First off, I would seriously contemplate getting the electrolytic capacitors replaced in your old amplifiers. I know, most generally wait until they fail, but those capacitors tend to take other parts with them when they die and rebuilding a/d/s amplifiers can get quite expensive. Think of it as preventative maintenance.
Next, what is your budget for component speakers? For brands pre-packaged component brands, I'd suggest looking at Alpine SPX Pro, Hertz, Rainbow, Image Dynamics, Focal, and Morel. Of course, the install itself is key to making high dollar components sound good. My other recommendation would be to listen to as many component speakers as you can at the local audio dealers, assuming you have any. I know, some smartaѕѕ is going to say that they will sound different in the car, and yes they will. On the flip side, if they sound terrible to you on the soundboard, chances are they will sound terrible in your vehicle!

When it comes to subwoofers, the game has changed a lot since the 90s. Now, power is relatively cheap, and subwoofers can produce deep bass from small enclosures. In the late 80s to early 90s, I tend to remember the trend of amplifiers being super expensive and subwoofers requiring HUGE enclosures to produce a decent amount of sub bass. Of course, the trade off for modern day subwoofers versus old school subs is that the new subwoofers are grossly inefficient.
Are there companies that do this work, and will do so for the a/d/s amps?? need some leads, and i'll do just that...thanks

like i said..I'm not doing competition, and probably dont require huge power to get this done...when i had just the 2 pq20's running the separates and the subs, it was awesome sounding then.... i just need good clean sound, with solid, tight bass, that, at times can be deep enough if i want it to be.....

measured my rear speaker areas...5x7 was the speaker size, so im looking to get some type component plate to fit that...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.