Heat sink for sub box.

Beau M
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I've been playing with car audio for 20 years (I'm old) and just had a crazy idea. First off, I'm currently struggling with an under seat sub box that is .5 cu ft too small. So I was doing some polyfill research and came across this article from Tom Nousaine:

Polyfill stuffing in car audio subwoofer systems

He doesn't mention standing waves or decreased vibrations or any other of the reasons I grew up hearing that polyfill made the sub "think" it was in a bigger box. He says

"The particulars of fiber stuffing are pretty interesting: The air inside your enclosure actually heats up as your woofer moves, making the air stiffer. (I'm absolutely serious.) When the enclosure is stuffed with fiber, the fibers wiggle, dissipating some of the heat and making the system work as though the box were larger."

How far can we push this? What if the box itself had a large finned heat sink to dissipate heat generated? What if you ran a liquid cooling system (like a PC) inside the box? How cold do we have to make it inside the box so we can make the box smaller and smaller while not losing sub performance? Can you use a mini fridge as a box and run a couple 15s in 2 cu ft?

No, I'm not high.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Changing the temperature will change the density of the air. I haven't done the math but think about how the bass charges from deep cold of winter as compared to summer time.

You need actual volume from a larger enclosure or different subwoofers that are designed to use tiny enclosures. Audiomobile Evo and GTS 8" and 10" subwoofers excel in tiny sealed enclosures, for example.

waste of time, effort and money for miniscule, if any gains in actual sonic performance. As said before, choosing a sub that works well in small enclosures is 1000x more superior than cramming a sub that needs a bigger sealed box into a tiny box. Poly fill only provides a tiny miniscule boost, its not a miracle worker that overcomes box deficiencies.

Flip the driver (and +/- terminals) over and run it basket out? Depending on how big the magnet structure is, you might get a few hundred cubic inches out of the deal. Might have to push the box out from under the seat though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif. Also solves any cooling issues //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.