Headunit/USB Problem.

Participant count
  • Participant list

JohnnyB4439
10+ year member

Live For This!
St.Louis
I just installed my Kenwood DDX-512 DVD player in my car. And I was looking forward to using the USB function on it. I ended up buying a 16GB flash drive to put some of my music on it. Well I filled up the flash drive and hooked it up. It started to play and everything was fine. But towards the bottom of the playlist when you click on an artist it wont play and just jumps back to the top. I can't really understand why it's doing that. I've formatted and tried putting on different music but had the same results. Ive looked on Kenwood's website in the FAQ questions for the USB drives and it meets all the requirements but its still having problems. Anyone else having problems similar to this?

How did you format it? Like "f" drive format? I know my scandisk was a pain to format. I had to go to some website to dl a format program for it. So that may be the case. Also, taskbar icon may have a format tab too. Next, what program are you using to transfer songs over? Kenwood media manager? or drag and drop? And lastly, are you sure it can handle 16 gig? Most are only able to handle up to 4 gig.

My Kenwood seems to favor playlists made from Phat Noise. Ever since I used that crappy software I don't have any probs. But then again, my quick drive is only 4 gigs...

I don't think you can download Phat Noise anymore... it came bundled with my headunit

a 16gig should handle about 15 gigs +/- . you'll never see the full 16 gig availble to you but it will be close.

But towards the bottom of the playlist when you click on an artist it wont play and just jumps back to the top.
you say your clicking on the playlist. my question would be; are you sure the song in the playlist is actually on the drive? using FAT32 for formatting?

How did you format it? Like "f" drive format? I know my scandisk was a pain to format. I had to go to some website to dl a format program for it. So that may be the case. Also, taskbar icon may have a format tab too. Next, what program are you using to transfer songs over? Kenwood media manager? or drag and drop? And lastly, are you sure it can handle 16 gig? Most are only able to handle up to 4 gig.
Well its already Formatted for FAT32. I reformatted it for the hell of it just to make sure. I dont use a program to transfer songs over just dragging and dropping. I looked on Kenwood's website and Im 99 percent sure my drive is compatible with the player.

My Kenwood seems to favor playlists made from Phat Noise. Ever since I used that crappy software I don't have any probs. But then again, my quick drive is only 4 gigs...
I don't think you can download Phat Noise anymore... it came bundled with my headunit
I found the program actually and installed it. Maybe Ill give it a try.

a 16gig should handle about 15 gigs +/- . you'll never see the full 16 gig availble to you but it will be close.

you say your clicking on the playlist. my question would be; are you sure the song in the playlist is actually on the drive? using FAT32 for formatting?
Yeah its all on the drive but ive used different thumb drives and dvd's and they all do the same thing. Its like towards the end of each of the playlists the last few bands or more (depending on how big it is) just doesnt work. When you click a band it will go into the next folder and display the albums, but when you click on it, it will just jump back to the top.

i couldn't use the Kenwood software. everytime it ran it would freeze up when i did anything in it. i just drag and dropped the folders. i tried creating a playlist without the software and it did nothing so i just didn't worry about it. maybe i'll give it a shot on a thumb drive and see if i run into your problem.

I just got the new Kenwood DDX-512 Head Unit. I thought I would let everyone know about it.

I just purchased this unit upgrading from my old kenwood head unit. I found out the hard way that there is some serious issues with this unit.

1. The unit is "Satellite XM/Sirius" Ready, but Kenwood has not released the cables needed to connected the unit to the Sirius unit. So basically if you buy this unit to listen to Satellite radio, you are out of luck until Kenwood releases the proper cable. I called Kenwood Usa support about this and they can't give a reason why the cables are not available, but said they should be available by April 2008. In the meantime I can't listen to my Sirius.

2. The unit claims to be able to play MP3, JPEG photos, and MPEG videos from a USB device (ext USB hard drive or thumb drive). I bought a external USB hard drive and it was able to play MP3s from it but no JPEG and no videos. I emailed Kenwood USA about this and they responded with this:

"The DNX-5120 and DDX-512 are currently unable to play MPEGs or JPEGs via USB. We are aware of this issue and currently working on a fix to solve the problem. When the fix is available, we will contact and email you the update."

So now I can't play my Satellite radio or play JPEG and Mpeg videos from my USB device! But there is more:

This is supposed to also have bluetooth with the optional BT-200 bluetooth unit. I called Kenwood and the Bluetooth add on will not be available until May 2008 according to Kenwood USA.

So I can't use my Bluetooth, Satellite Radio, or JPEG, MPEG files!

So basically if you are going to buy this unit, wait until May when they are supposedly going to have everything available. I am not a happy customer!

Im using Transcend JetFlash v60 16GB Flash Drive. It doesnt have U3 Lauchpad, the only thing it comes with is the Jetflash Elite Software at which I reformatted so its gone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.