Head Unit Wont Turn Off

Participant count
  • Participant list

craftsman82

CarAudio.com Newbie
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD
Kenwood Head Unit DDX4028BT (I think)

The alternator went out on my truck today. When it died I cut the radio off and made it home to change the alternator. Disconnected the negative cable and replaced the alternator. When I hooked up the battery I noticed the radio came on without the key being on. My radio steering wheel controls either dont work or they dont work as they should, ex. when you hit the volume up, it goes down, when you hit the volume down it mutes, and more. The main thing is when you turn the key off and open the driver door the radio does not turn off. This was not an issue before the alternator went out. What could be causing this? Could the alternator do something when it died and cause the radio to malfunction?
Thanks

2007 Chevrolet 2500HD
Kenwood Head Unit DDX4028BT (I think)

The alternator went out on my truck today. When it died I cut the radio off and made it home to change the alternator. Disconnected the negative cable and replaced the alternator. When I hooked up the battery I noticed the radio came on without the key being on. My radio steering wheel controls either dont work or they dont work as they should, ex. when you hit the volume up, it goes down, when you hit the volume down it mutes, and more. The main thing is when you turn the key off and open the driver door the radio does not turn off. This was not an issue before the alternator went out. What could be causing this? Could the alternator do something when it died and cause the radio to malfunction?
Thanks
just a thought,disconnect the POS on the battery let it set for 30 seconds then connect the POS back up on the Battery, this should reset the HU,

You can always pull the Fuse for the supply to the radio/HU for a couple hours as well. Note{ you will have to go through and make all your settings back to where you like and or had them before removing the battery post) after you apply the Fuse back in place

It's weird that your steering wheel controls are scrambled. My first guess is that the remote turn on lead is somehow shorted but that doesn't explain it all. Did you see any evidence of a short during installation of the new alternator, any sparks, etc?

Edit: Sometimes high-current events can fuse circuits closed (as opposed to just blowing a fuse and opening them). If there was some kind of short that might have generally fried your HU.

It's weird that your steering wheel controls are scrambled. My first guess is that the remote turn on lead is somehow shorted but that doesn't explain it all. Did you see any evidence of a short during installation of the new alternator, any sparks, etc?

Edit: Sometimes high-current events can fuse circuits closed (as opposed to just blowing a fuse and opening them). If there was some kind of short that might have generally fried your HU.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...