head unit watts un used

Participant count
  • Participant list

zoolander

oregon
im using a crunch 4 channel amp 900 watts to run 4 6x8's in my 2002 f250.

my question is, can i use the watts from the head unit to run some tweeters? the head unit i have is Pioneer AVIC-F900BT \RB. i dont think it will work because the RCA's are ran to the amp.

if you ran power from your HU to tweeters you'd need a crossover else it will sound like crap
Yep, plus you'll destroy them without a crossover as it will send bass signals to them as well as highs. Of course a cheap crossover can be made by hand using easy to buy parts.

However.....

Typically head units generally produce less line level output signal if the internal amp is being used to drive speakers off of it.

To top it all off, your deck will distort before your line out will, which means you'll need to further reduce your max dynamic range by running at a lower deck volume (and forcing a higher amp input gain) in order to not clip the tweeters, even though the rest of the system would be chugging along ok. So now your let's say 4v rca output might really only be able to be used at say 500mv.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.