Head Unit Suggestions - Poor Eyesight

Participant count
  • Participant list

WallyAGator

Hi Folks,

I am looking for suggestions and feedback on what you have seen / used. My current system is weak in two areas and I am looking to upgrade.

Current System: Eclipse CD3200, Sirius (SC-C1), HD Radio (HDR105). Stock amplifier and speakers (Bose units) that came in the car.

First weakness is the HD radio does not do multicasting so I only get 1 digital channel per radio station. The local station I want to listen to puts the content I want on their second HD channel so a head unit that supports a multicasting capable HD input is required.

Second item is my eyesight is not so good anymore and I cannot read the display on the radio without putting on my reading glasses. Unfortunately I cannot drive with the reading glasses on so I cannot change stations or read programming notes or do much of anything with the radio except when stopped. To get around this I was thinking about one of the single din head units with a flip up touchscreen. Hopefully one with big text I can use for tuning. The other option would be simply something with bigger text on the display.

The local dealer wants to put me into a CD5030 and HDR109 to address the multicasting issue but this does nothing for my vision issue. The CD5030 and HDR109 will probably set me back $500.

Eclipse offers a DVD unit that does all of these things but the cost seems to be considerably higher than others that might also be capable of doing what I need. I was looking at the Eclipse AVX5000 and the HDR109. The AVX5000 + HDR109 will run around $1500. I do not need the DVD as I do not sit in the car with the parking brake engaged and there is no back seat (just a shelf area for the dog and she does not watch DVDs).

Any recommendations for a head unit with big text on the display or an alternative head with the touchscreen?

I am not trying to spend a bunch of money for little gain. My listening preferences seem to go to NPR and Fox News so good quality sound is nice but not paramount.

Thanks.

Wally

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.