Head unit not storing settings when power off

neil4374

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys,

After my new install my head unit isn’t storing anything in its memory.

It hasn’t been used in a long time.

I checked the wiring diagram and all wires are connected.

I have reconnected the old wiring loom.

I have 2 sets of RCA’s on the back of the head unit being used and I use a loc to convers high level to another set of RCA’s.

There is a blue and yellow wire not attached to anything.That is supposed to be the steering wheel remote but that is working without that wire!

There is a brown wire that is for tell muting. But I don’t need that.

I wonder if they guys who wired up the steering wheel remote used the blu white cable( which is remote) rather than the blue yellow they should of used. I tried to look but couldn’t see.

Does

Anybody think this could be the problem?

Here’s the wiring diagram for my head unit.

What HU is it?

The red/yellow wires should go together. The blue/white wire is for aftermarket amps to turn on straight from HU.

Thanks for the quick reply:)

The head unit is a JVC KW-R710

My amp turns on and on with the ignition. It has a Auto-Start Smart turn-on and thats working fine.

I think the guys that installed the aftermarket stereo and steering wheel controls used the blue white wire instead of the blue yellow wire. Could this cause my problem?

What HU is it?
The red/yellow wires should go together. The blue/white wire is for aftermarket amps to turn on straight from HU.
If you do red and yellow wires together you will blow a fuse or battery...

yeah i thought yellow was memory right?
Any and all yellow aka battery wire is always used for power and memory

I think the guys that installed the aftermarket stereo and steering wheel controls used the blue white wire instead of the blue yellow wire. Could this cause my problem?
Yes because without constant connection to the battery, the headunits memory forgets your settings.

Fix your wiring yourself, its very easy and if needed use electrical tape.

If you do red and yellow wires together you will blow a fuse or battery...

Any and all yellow aka battery wire is always used for power and memory

Yes because without constant connection to the battery, the headunits memory forgets your settings.

Fix your wiring yourself, its very easy and if needed use electrical tape.
How so? Last several HU installs I have done so w/o issues.

Defenitely. I would take it back and make them fix it if their work is still under warranty. I don't see how they can confuse 2 colors together.

Thanks Los33.

So if I swop the blue white wire on the steering remote and reconnect it to the blue white wire on the wiring harness and connect the blue yellow to the steering remote it should work? Sorry, not good with these things!

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Thank you Boomin Tahoe

It was 8 months ago! So probably no warranty. That said it should be easy to swop over

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Thanks for all your help all:)

It was 8 months ago! So probably no warranty. That said it should be easy to swop over 

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Thanks for all your help all:)
12v constant goes to yellow

If yellow goes to yellow as the 12v constant.

Why would the blue yellow /blue white incorrect wiring cause the memory to not be stored.

Sorry, but I am trying to understand what’s happening rather than just fix it

But which is the 12 v constant?lol
The red wire

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

Wait.....so this happened 8 months ago and your just now asking about it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.