Head Unit N00B Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

mastermike707

Hi there, I am a total n00b and I have a few questions regarding head units in general and for my 2006 Nissan Altima with stock stereo and head unit. I am looking to get a head unit to replace the stock one as it has no Aux jack or bluetooth. I want a head unit that will connect to my Nexus 4 (runs Android 4.2) via bluetooth.

1. Should I buy a single or double DIN?

2. I notice there are many "bluetooth ready" head units, is it better to buy a "bluetooth ready" and then the adapter or one that comes with everything?

3. Finally can you reccomend 3 or 4 models to look at that are good value?

Thanks for your help!

You are going to spend considerably more on a quality double-din. Watch out for some of the cheaper double dins such as pawn shop brands. It would be advisable to stick to a single din if you were on a budget, Alpine preferably, Eclipse too if you can find one. These are usually good for the money. Never had a prob w/ my cde-102. Bluetooth I believe comes included on the higher end Alpine one's. I believe you can buy it as an add-on on the lower versions.

Captain Maximus has it right. Find yourself a good deal on a single din that will allow you to expand later. If you are hanging around here that means you're probably more serious about car audio than the average Moe.

You can get yourself a killer single din Alpine or Kenwood lightly used here under $200 all day long. I just got a KDC-BT948 that has USB input, built in BT, DSP and 4V preouts used off ebay for $100....

PS be aware if you are trying to stream music from your phone, it's gonna sound like poo. BT doesn't sound that good. Buy a cheap IPOD from the pawn store and plug it in instead. Better quality...

rjp

Ok so I did a lot of searching and research on some of the head units and I am sorta lost with the sheer number of models. Does HD Radio have more stations than are available on FM or is it the same just better quality? Also, should I be buying an amp? I am probably going to be using the stock speakers.

I am currently looking at buying something newer because of better bluetooth and android support. Something like Pioneer DEH-X6500BT. What do you think?

I also found this

JVC KDX250BT and was wondering if it will work? It says its a digital media reciever; unsure of the difference with a regular head unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
HD radio is better quality, and you can't play CD's on that JVC...

If you are going to go stock speakers, just wire up the deck and see how you like it. An amp isn't going to do much with your factory speakers since the power handling is so limited...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.