Head Unit Clipping?

Participant count
  • Participant list

bradl79
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NLR
is it normal or possible that the head unit will not clip at full volume, using 1kHz and 50Hz. i put mine all the way to 40 and used an Oscope and no clipping, until i testing the amp and put my HU vol at 35 and i was able to get a clip then moved my gains down until no clip.. but HU alone never clipped at full vol.

i have a clarion NX702, so if i set my gains on my amp with the Oscope, which volume should i use, the HU goes all the way up to 40 should i still drop down?

Do you mean you had the amp clip? You check for clipping at the head unit, then you check the amp and turn the gain up until the threshold of clipping. If you can't get rid of the clipping with the gain all the way down then make sure the EQ is off on the head unit and any boosts are disabled.

I did get rid of the amp clipping but since the head unit does not clip do I turn it to full volume to set the gains on the amp?

So even even with eq and db gains I should be fine if I keep my volume at ²³ out of 40 with my gains set properly?

So even even with eq and db gains I should be fine if I keep my volume at ²³ out of 40 with my gains set properly?
Make sure you're not letting a bunch of power go to waste with the volume that far from max. You're probably seeing well under 1V at the pre-outs. Check the amp with your oscilloscope again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.