HD? Do I need a special player?

Americanstrat21
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok, so I just bought a new 32" Flat panel lcd tv.. I was wondering if to take full advantage of the hd on the tv i would need to get a special hd dvd player? (Im not talking a blue ray player as I have a 720p tv) Also will a ps3 or an xbox 360 suffice as being an hd dvd player?

Thank you!

Xbox "hd dvd player" is obsolete and the ps3 is good to go it has blue ray built in that is the way to go to get real HD pic from a movie. The only hd format that is worth buying and has won the format battle is blue ray.

X2 on the blu ray. I have it on my PS3 with my surround sound and it sounds amazing as it looks. But if you want just HD, you can always get an up convert DVD, An HD cable box or what ever provider you have and of course blu ray. If you got any other questions though PM me.

Edit: 720P compared to 1080P are hardly noticable on a mid size televisions, keep that in mind. Your eye only notices the difference on the larger televisions. I say 37 and up. Maybe 40 depends on who makes the tv.

^^ I thought that my tv which is a 720p 32" does not support blue rays since it is not 1080i? Will a ps3 still have better picture quality on dvds than a regular non hd dvd player?

Thanks

^^ I thought that my tv which is a 720p 32" does not support blue rays since it is not 1080i? Will a ps3 still have better picture quality on dvds than a regular non hd dvd player?
Thanks
LOL. That's a not true at all. You can watch blu ray on a regular tv if you want (which is stupid, but some people do) but it doesn't shine until on HD Tvs. Either somebody told you wrong, or your just misinformed. Blu ray would be fine, and like I said, you wouldn't notice the difference of 1080 or 720 due to the tvs size. Your fine.

Also the PS3 upconverts DVDs with an HDMI cable the same as an up convert DVD player does.

Standard DVD's play at 480i/480p resolution and Blu-ray plays at 720p, 1080i or 1080p resolution. If you play a 1080 line Blu-ray disc on a 720p TV, the image will get downscaled to fit on screen, but the quality will still be much higher than a 480i/p DVD. If you enjoy good quality video then a PS3 or dedicated Blu-ray player will be worth investing in, and either will downscale to 720 lines automatically once configured. Most players will also upconvert standard DVD's to play 720 lines (although the improvement in quality is usually very minor compared to using the TV's built in upscaler).

I have a 32 inch with a PS3 as my BluRay player. My TV can do 1080P, and appears to downscale. BluRays look incredible. I imagine they won't look any less impressive in 720.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.